R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers and over torsioned axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers and over torsioned axle
    Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 10:24am
If you check out the Lippert axle on the RP179, you will note that it's rated for around 4400 lbs, which is well over the GVWR of the RP179. I think the designers felt that was sufficient to compensate for the cantilever stress. Unfortunately, there are many all-to-typical situations where road conditions effectievly cancel that.

Instead of enlarging the entire frame, they could probably done a little "kick out" in the 3-5 foot zone of the axle and slide out, and that would have been sufficient to fix both of those issues. Saddly, that's not the way it's gone.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 11:23am
My axle is rated 3500 lbs on my 180. Forest River is currently gathering all my info and am not sure where they are going with it. Probably offer me a new axle. I'm a bit hesitant on this. I mean if they provide a new axle plus install the out rigger supports, that would be great right? It's just that when I first got the trailer, there were many many things wrong with it. Sure...all the issues were fixed at the dealer and some I fixed myself, but it was a nightmare as there were about 17 issues I addressed with them. I had no use of the unit for the first 2-3 months while the dealership had the unit and was going back and forth communication with FR. FR actually cut me a check for $500 to compensate me for my trouble, frustration, hassle and leg work. I requested the compensation and they agreed, but this was only after I provided them with a write up and pics, and then had to convince them that sure the items were covered under the warranty, but I impressed upon them that the warranty should be for the things that might go wrong after you start using it like insurance. Not for deficiencies that were there when the unit left the factory. And the dealership for all there hard work were really caught in the middle. Afterall, the factory was taking advantage of them and other dealerships I suppose for using them to fix their mistakes and poor workmanship. Anyway, I'm just hesitant and anxious about turning the unit back to them for who knows how long especially knowing their poor workmanship. Would really appreciate your thoughts and maybe suggestions to help here. I've appreciated your feed back on this as well as everyone else's. 
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 1:04pm
I don't have my 179 any more, but I am pretty sure my axle was only rated at 3500 lbs as well. I remember because my dry weight was 3100lbs so we only had 400lbs of added weight to work with.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 6:38pm
It isn't exclusive to R-Pods. Forest River makes the Cherokee Grey Wolf I have now. I am still finding things that aren't right. One of the more recent ones was that trying to connect cable to the system and then turning off the antenna amplifier, I could not get the TV to get a clear picture from the cable. I had the park check the pole and we narrowed it down to the trailer. I thought it was the trailer wiring. I am not sure now. I think it may be the plate with the booster. I could get a clear picture with the TV connected directly to the park's cable. I could not do so when trying to run through the trailer's cable.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:43am
The axle would be rated at 4400 lbs if it weren't for the cantilevered connection to the inboard frame. It is de-rated to 3500 lbs because of that, at least that was my understanding way back when.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:51am
+1 on the axle derating.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 1:14pm
I have an RPod 186 and had to replace a bent Lippert axel after only 5,000 miles and guess what the new replacement axel only lasted less than 600 miles.  Lippert is not offering any compensation.  My new axel will be a Dexter.  Down time is 6 to 8 weeks.  Hopefully the Dexter will last a lot longer.
CAPTKIDD
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 7:42pm
So the million dollar question is: Why exactly has Lippert replaced these axles. I haven't heard one thing about that yet.
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 11:48am
I assume you are talking about my axels and the answer is they were bent.
CAPTKIDD
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 12:12pm
10-4
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>