R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers and over torsioned axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers and over torsioned axle
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:37am
I was told the Axle caused the problem. I believe it is Lippert, and that they changed design without notification to Forrest River, I think it was the torsion suspension. I doesnt make much sense to me, but thats what they said. I think Lippert funded the entire recall which must have been pricey!! Our Rpod 190 was repaired & returned to us Dec 2022. New axle and floor. 
Jack
Austintaco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 7:42am
Thank you, Jack. I will contact FR and see if they can run my VIN and get more information. Crossing my fingers….I don’t show any signs of issues now.

Patrick
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 10:20am
It's not the axle. 

The issue is that the body of the 'pod is cantilevered out about a half foot past the support of the frame. The only thing holding up the body is the stiffness of floor. Adding a slide out magnifies the problem. Adding the outriggers adds the support needed. 

Separately, there is a similar issue with the axle. The axle support is way inboard and creates torsion on the axles because the wheels are so far out.

Both of these issues would not exist if the frame had been made wider. However, that would have meant additional support would have to have been made in the middle of the frame to support the floor, and that may have pushed the weight up too far.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 10:44am
Great explanation. So, bottom line..it's a bad design, and on the 190 w/ slide out, it should probably have 2 axles AND a wider frame.
Jack
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tomtreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 1:00am
I'll be getting my floor replaced next spring, at my own cost.  What I ended up having was water damage. Lesson learned on camper purchase.  I do have a torsion suspension but apparently before the recall window. I'm hoping to come out of this with something that will last me some time without breaking my bank.  I'll have a good investment in it at that point, probably close enough I'da been better off just buying new instead of used. Forest River is working with me on this as well.  I went ahead and installed outriggers on mine.  My installer lifted the side up with several jacks and 2x4s to just get the riggers in and then welded them to the frame.  Then inserted the screws in the end of each to secure that once it was left back down on them.

Being a 2016, you are probably not in that program window either but since you didn't have a sneeky water leak that no one could seem to find until too late, your floors are fine.  Might be a good idea though to do the outriggers to be on the safe side.  They are available from Forest River for under $10 per and I think their instructions call for 4 of them.

Many happy miles with your new "to you" POD!
Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 1:27pm
Update:
I called and emailed FR and received two calls this morning. They emailed me a PDF with instructions on what photos and info I will need to send back to them. I will have to move the trailer out to get the photos needed but the main thing is the axle ID. I sent a photo of that to see if I have the axle that they are saying causes this issue. Interesting is that they also ask about the use of a WDH and what type and brand, so they are tracking other details that might play into the failures. I’ll update when I hear back. 
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tomtreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Austintaco

Interesting is that they also ask about the use of a WDH and what type and brand, so they are tracking other details that might play into the failures.

WDH?
Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tomtreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 1:32pm
OH!  Weight Distribution Hitch.  Why Yes, Yes I am.  I believe all of my gear is Reese for that.

Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:06pm
Update: They don’t think my axle is in the problem period but they are sending all of my photos and info to Lippert. My Driver side tire does lean in and when I look at my axle from the front and even though it’s a Hood river, I have barely and inch of clearance with the fenders. This might all be related to something other than the axle/frame issues though. 
I’ll wait to see if FR or Lippert recommend anything, but I will probably brace it and add outriggers as a precaution. If my axle has lost its camber or is not clocked correctly, I will probably put a new axle on as well. 
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
Bowcat66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bowcat66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:32pm
I have a 2016 180 that has zero outriggers installed. I do show a small amount of sagging, but even when I jack it up, it doesn't square it up. I have the outriggers ready to install, but am now confused because it doesn't square up. Have any of you had this issue? And did you go ahead an install the outriggers?
God Bless America! Go NAVY!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>