R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers and over torsioned axle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers and over torsioned axle
    Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Winterpod

Is it possible that the WDH IS causing the damage and delaminating to-the front of our R-Pods?

Came across this thread and couldn't help but connect the dots to a thread on the Escape forum. Some of the early single axle Escapes had frame issues but not floor complications due to the fiberglass, clamshell design. 

One of the theories is that WDHs being used on full size TVs transfer too much energy to the frame of the trailer where as WDHs on midsize, lighter TVs will send the energy across both trailer and TV.

Anyway, thought I would share that.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:59am
Guess I dont know all the lingo..or too old to figure out. What is WDH, what is TV in this context, have no idea what you are referring to?
Jack 
RPOD 190.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:23am
Apologies. WDH is weight distribution hitch and TV is tow vehicle.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:49am
I don't buy that theory for one minute.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Fireguyinfla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fireguyinfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:55am
I have an f150 2015 2.7, tow package. Pulling an R-pod 179. I got rid of my WDH and installed air bags. Does ok. Even better with some water in the tank
Jeffrey Harbuck
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:57am
I had a Weight Distribution Hitch, as it came with an older iPod I had, sold hitch as I think its not needed on my F150, I also have airbags, even the 190 is a tiny little trailer & have no need for the big hitch.

jack

gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I don't buy that theory for one minute.

I can't say one way or another. That being said, given my experiences with uncontrolled oscillation, undamped vibration and inadequately controlled power transfer from my years in the motorcycle industry, I would say the theory probably has merit.

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:39pm
Weight distribution bars are sized according to the trailer tongue weight. Mine are rated for 400-600 pounds. I could see issues if stiffer bars were used but I'm not as concerned knowing that they're sized for a trailer in the weight class of an R-Pod. I have seen the claims that the R-Pod can't handle the weight transfer though.
Tomtreas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tomtreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 9:42am
Well so much for that effort.  I emailed them about my 2016 RP178 having the same issue and the response I got back was that my camper was out of "the issue" and they won't fix it.  Now I'm stuck with a valueless camper that I paid good money for.  I will never buy another Forest River product (outside of the outirggers I need to get as much life out of mine that I can).  Like John Marucci says, "My take is that Forest River and their parent company Berkshire Hathaway are the reason for the downstream trouble loosed on a multitude of owners like me." I am the person he describes in this video. https://youtu.be/R8UTG5t-cJM

Until I got the disappointing message I got from them this morning, I was thinking they were repairing these issues in good faith to avoid a class action suit.  Perhaps that is where I will try to do with this after all.  Problem is, I still need to get and install the outriggers in an effort to repair the damage lest my camper box be sitting on the ground around my frame before such a settlement would be finalized.

Not a happy camper.
Tom B in MO USA
2016 RP178
2008 Xterra
Austintaco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 8:38pm
I’m Reading through posts on several threads on sagging floors, outriggers, and causes. I didn’t want to start a new thread on the subject, and this one seems to be the most recent. Some people are getting their pods repaired by FR and unfortunately some are being told no. 
We just got our used 2016 179 HRE and everything works, no sag at the slide out, by the kitchen, or the door, but I want to prepare myself for what might come.

What’s the latest consensus on the cause of these issues? Bad welding day at the factory? Over torsioned axle? Bad design? 

Is there additional info on why FR is repairing some units and ignoring others? 

Thanks in advance. Hoping to contribute more to the forum in the future.

Patrick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>