This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2022 R POD 202 electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022 R POD 202 electrical problem
    Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 8:58am
We went on our 1st trip in our new 2022 R POD 202 May, 31-June 2.  Just a quick one to break it in.  Got set up and of course had air conditioner on since it was hot.  We have 30 amp unit and plugged into 30 amp plug.  This isn't our 1st RV.  We've owned towable and motorized, big and small for years.  Everything going well til I decided to heat up lasagna in microwave for dinner.  The air conditioner shut off and the refridg. switched from elec. to propane.  Like to never found breaker box but finally did and got reset.  Decided not to push my luck so didn't try microwave again right away.  I plugged my cell in to charge and noticed plug not working. I assume these all went out when the other things did. As a matter of fact none of them worked.  Finally realized that the GFI in the bathroom controlled all the plugs.  Needless to say, we were really frustrated.  Oh by the way, we were camped in area with very little cell coverage so couldn't look things up to get answers.  We had nothing else going at the time everything went out except air cond. and microwave.  Why would the air, refrig., and all plugs go off at the same time?  I should be able to use air and microwave together in a new unit.  We've never had that trouble before in any of our other units that were 30 amp.  Tried it again the next day and the same thing happened.  
BGN  
BGN
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:35am
This sounds like a new trailer that you just took delivery of.  If that is the case I would return to your dealer and have them resolve the problem(s) that you are encountering.  There are many possible causes for the symptoms that you have encountered.  Every thing should be covered under warranty.  Hopefully your dealer will be able to assist you in a timely manner and it's good you had a shake down trip.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
BGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 12:35pm
We are scheduled to take in on Monday to dealer.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem.  You're right, it's brand new.
BGN
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:48pm
As I indicated before many things could happen to cause the outcomes that you experienced but you should be able to use all the electrical appliances while plugged into stable 30 amp shore power without having any loss of electrical service.  At least that is my understanding.  I am sure your dealer will get to the bottom of the issue(s).  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 8:35am
You cannot assume that you SHOULD be able to run the a/c and microwave at the same time. It's all about amps, how many are you pulling, and when. An a/c unit can sometimes pull more than 20 amps at start up. You will always be drawing power elsewhere, fridge, converter, lights, then you kick on the micro, not that unbelievable. Not sure if you have an EMS, but if you do, you can watch the power pendant and see how much amperage your actual units pull when they turn on. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:24am
Yeah, you could be over 30A. The 200 series have bigger fridges and a/C's. And you probably had some other stuff using electricity too.

Try turning off everything electric in the trailer (including putting the fridge on propane) except the a/c and then turn on the micro while the a/c compressor (not just the fan) is running. You can tell when the compressor is running because you will hear a hum in addition to the whoosh sound of the a/c blower. See if the breaker holds. If not then something is wrong, that should be less than 30A. Back to the dealer.

If the breaker holds then cycle the a/c off for a minute or two, then back on. If the breaker trips when the a/c compressor starts then it's the a/c comp startup current thats tripping your breaker if the micro is also running. You can either add a Microair Easystart (which will get rid of most of that startup current) or turn off the a/c while running the micro.

If the breaker holds during a/c compressor startup then turn the fridge back on electric and go through the process again. Soon you'll learn what you can and can't run along with the micro and A/c without tripping the breaker.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:00am
From your explanation of what happened, you were drawing too much amperage with both ac and microwave on at the same time. I noticed via my EMS (as offgrid suggested above, an ems that protects you from high and low power situations is a always a good idea). I was watching my power draw through my Hughes Power Watchdog on my phone (Bluetooth) and it does indeed draw more than 30 amps with both high draw items on at full power.

I imagine we have a similar sized fridge and AC, as we have a 192 so it is comparing apples to apples.

I will be interested in what your dealer says and if there is a problem or do we just continue to watch what we have turned on. So, please let us know what you find out as it would be much appreciated!

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
BGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:49pm
I will post when I find out. We've had 2 other 30 amp units and never experienced this. One unit hade the same size fridge and air. We lived in it 6 months while building. Now I couldn't run the blow dryer with air and microwave but no trouble with air and microwave as long as on a good 30 am plug.
BGN
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 7:10pm
A 1200 watt hair dryer with consume about 10A. The A/C will take about 15-18 (running, more during startup). The micro is about 10-12A. That adds up to around 40A. A 30A breaker should trip at that current you want it to or you will overhead your wiring.

I'm not sure why your previous RVs breaker still held under that condition assuming all the loads were the same, but I'd suggest that your current breaker is working properly and something wasn't right with your old one. Just run one appliance at a time plus the A/C and you should be fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:39pm
I've had the breaker trip with AC, microwave, and water heater element all energized, but only when the surge from the compressor happened. A Micro-Air EasyStart will greatly reduce that surge.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>