R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Brake magnet scoring drum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake magnet scoring drum
    Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:50am
What I thought was a wheel rusting turned out to be the magnet scoring the drum surface and the iron filings sitting on the wheel and rusting.  Removed drums and found right chewed up by the magnet and left with grease on it so I assumed a bad seal on the left and the right was doing all the work.  Replace complete drum/bearing units and brake units.  Went to burnish the brakes and found that left drum very hot.  Removed the drum and found the magnet eating into the drum and the right not (although I could see that the right shoes were engaging).  I thought with no grease on the drum or magnets this must be an electrical problem.  With the brake controller manually operated by a helper and measuring voltage at each magnet: @2: L1.9, R.84, @4: L4.9, R4.41, @max: L9.4, R10.82.  So now I'm stumped.  Voltage seems to be close between L&R but my 'drum scored by the magnet' problem has moved from the right side to the left.  Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:25am
Since the magnets are in parallel they will always have close to the same voltage on them. You will need to measure current through them to see any difference.

Get a multimeter with a DC (not just AC which is more common) clamp on current meter and clamp it to one of the lines feeding the magnets. About $40 on Amazon.

Place it far from the magnets or the mag fields will screw up the readings. Then measure the current to each magnet and see if they are much different.

I did the same as you and got complete new brake assemblies. Still could never get the two brake magnets to balance so I ended up rewiring them in series. That way they are guaranteed to have the same current. You have to turn the brake controller up to double the voltage
though to get the same braking action. Better I think than having imbalanced trailer braking on a wet slippery mountain road someday.

Another point is that once one brake is getting hot and burnished while the other is not it will always do more work so you will have to disconnect the hot one and do your burnishing stops with just the unburnished one to get it to work properly.

While you have things disconnect us a good time to get rid of the crappy insulation displacemebt connectors FR uses and replace them with real sealed butt splices or soldered connections.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:49am
I have a multi-meter that will measure up to 10A which I connected to one cut lead (on lead connected to each of the cut ends), and the second magnet wire still connected to the trailer wiring.  Got some strange results with the engine running.  I may need to disconnect all wires from the trailer and test with a battery.  What keeps coming back to me is the scoring which makes me think that the magnet is constantly sticking to the drum, even when my foot is not on the brake.  Is it possible that some short somewhere is sending power to the magnet when I'm not using the brakes?  As for the heat during burnishing.  It does appear that both brakes are working (from a visual inspection of the shoes) but only the left is getting quite hot and I'm attributing that back to the magnet since in a 2 mile trip to burnish, the drum is already scored and the magnet worn.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 12:17pm
If it's not getting pretty dang hot it's not working. The magnet runs on the drum when engaged so there will by design be some scoring.

If you have an IR thermometer measure the brake temps after a couple of stops using only the trailer brakes. A working drum will be several hundred degrees F and the drum paint will be out gassing if it's fresh. If one isn't working at all it will be nearly ambient temp.

Your strange current readings could be due to the pulse width modulation of your brake controller as it drops the TV battery voltage down. Try turning it all the way up and if that doesn't stabilize things then try a direct battery connection as you are suggesting. You can also look at the resistance of each magnet using the ohmmeter setting. Lippert has a spec for that in their manual.

At the end of the day you can do what I did, disconnect the hot brake temporarily, burnish the cold one, and see if it gets up to a similar temp once burned in and stops the rig ok. Then reconnect the two magnets in series, crank the controller all the way up, make a few stops. If you like the way that feels and both brakes are getting reasonably hot then go camping.

We all have to acknowledge that electric drum trailer brakes are 70 year old technology and will never work like we expect from our moderm sophisticated ABS hydraulic vehicle disk brakes.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:03pm
Thanks.  Amps with the car running.  L:.14, R:1.45.  While I see a big difference, still not sure about the measurement as I would expect the problem L site to be getting more not less than the R.  I'll test again with the battery.
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 2:46pm
Both magnets are within specs on amps and ohms.  A friend checked it out and suggested that the brakes were not adjusted equally for brake-in and with the initial adjustment the wheel (jacked off the ground) should only do about a half of revolution, then you need to drive quite a bit applying the brakes until they settle in.  Replaced the hub what was slightly scored and the associated magnet.  Right not the brakes are pulling evenly and I had no idea just how hot the acceptable temperature was for the hubs during brake-in.  Time will tell.  Thanks for the help.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 3:55pm
Glad you have it sorted out now. For sure the burnishing process gets the brakes pretty darn hot.

If you do the math it works out that the drums will heat up by about 300 degrees above starting temp if you use the trailer brakes alone to fully stop the rig from freeway speed.

Lippert has you do up to 50 gentler decelerations from 40 to 20 and wants you to get the drums up to around the same 350-400 degrees. Safer and more controllable that way.

I carry my ir thermometer in my tow vehicle arm rest and check bearing and tire temps while refueling, and brake temps once in awhile after making a full stop from freeway speeds or after a downhill grade. Great tool which can give you early warning of several potential problems.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:57am
I'll pick up an IR thermometer.  Just wish I could have had a definitive answer as to why the magnets are scoring the drums.  My thought is that a bad ground or loose connection might cause one magnet to be energized more than the other while the trailer is bouncing down the road.  Just don't know.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:41am
Some scoring is normal, the magnets make contact with the drum surface when they are energized. It's the friction of that contact that activates the brake shoes.

But I'm not sure if what youre describing is normal or not. The contact shouldnt be producing metal shavings for example. Do you have any pics of the scoring?

A bad contact would make one magnet deenergize so that brake stopped making contact but it wouldn't cause scoring. Quite the opposite. I'd recommend getting rid of the insulation displacement connectors on the brake wiring and replacing them with butt splices or soldered connections and heat shrink tubing. The factory connectors are junk.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>