R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Risers for RPODS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Risers for RPODS
    Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 5:45am
Does anyone have information on the RISERS that FR used to sell and the Lippert Risers.

The Lippert Risers are about twelve inches long and there seems to be an issue with the 179’s as to frame stress. Due to the frame tubing been lighter. 

Are the Risers previously provided by FR longer? Or more robust? Does FR still sell them? If so any contact number? 

I have contacted FR with question on the FR Riser kit and they refer me to the warranty department, who then refer me to my original dealer, which has a very poor service record with me. Everything they “repaired” , I had to redo and besides that we moved from the area.

I am thinking of getting the Lippert ones and having extension welded on each end with a spacer bar on top to equal the bracket thickness. This would be to spread the stress load on the frame.

I will have access to a really good welder in about a month.

I would appreciate any input

M

2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:25am
No the FR ones aren't adequately designed either.

The problem is not the riser itself, as you say the frame tubes are too light for the application. The weak point is the rear attachment for the axle or riser to the frame tube. Because it is a torsion axle if you hit a pot hole or curb you get a fire rotating the axle up and back and trying to lift the trailer at the same time, placing high stress on the frame right at that spot. The risers make it worse because the moment arm from where the wheel hits the pothole to the frame is longer, but either way it's a well known weak spot in any torsion axle trailer.

When I did the calc for my 179 I got a design safety factor of about 1.8, meaning that it only takes about a 1.8 g bump load to bend there. That is very low, most guidance says that heavy truck frames should be designed to about 2.5 g, and passenger vehicles (which are lighter so get thrown around more) are generally designed to handle 3g or more.

The fix is to spread out the twisting load from the axle or riser farther along the frame tube. One of our members had his frame bend at that point. He had to straighten the frame and then add another piece of 4x2 tubing under the frame tube. That creates a doubled frame section which greatly increases the ability of the doubled frame to handle load and spreads out the load. It also provides a 4 inch lift, just slightly more than the 3.5 inch lift kit.

If you have access to a good welder then I'd suggest talking to him about welding a doubler tube under each frame tube and reattaching the axle to that. The weld doesn't need to be continuous as the weld is at the neutral axis of the doubled frame section so doesnt see a lot of stress.

As for doubler length, you want it to extend farther behind the axle than in front to spread out the higher forces which occur behind the axle. I did a post on that a few years ago, you can probably find it by doing an advanced search. IIRC the doubler tubes needed to be around 4 ft long, extending about 2.5 or 3 ft behind the axle, but my memory might be wrong.

If you do that reinforcement I'd suggest you also reinforce the axle tube at the same time. There have been many bent axles on rpods, that is another and probably the weakest link in the chain. I posted a simple reinforcement I did on mine which involved U-bolting a steel angle under the axle. The angle needs to be bent slightly upward in the center because the axle itself is (or should be) crowned. You would need 4 square U-bolts, two at each end of the axle just inside the wheel, oriented at 45 degrees to the vertical to mate the angle to the axle tube.

If you do those two reinforcements and also add the floor outriggers FR sells or you can make then you'll have a pretty robust trailer. The next weakest point is the toungue frame around where it goes under the front of the cabin, but I haven't heard of any actually being at that spot yet.

Should FR have designed their trailers differently to being with? Sure but they are motivated by cost and weight to keep things as light as possible, even if that kind of design won't hold up to long term ownership or use on some of our not so perfect roads.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 6:19am
The problem is not the riser itself, as you say the frame tubes are too light for the application. The weak point is the rear attachment for the axle or riser to the frame tube. Because it is a torsion axle if you hit a pot hole or curb you get a fire rotating the axle up and back and trying to lift the trailer

OFFGRID 

Thank you very much for your input.

As we use our RPOD 179 a lot and we don’t spend a lot of time off roading and we have never had an issue with stabilizers dragging.  I have made the decision not to install risers.

If we decide to off road I would more than likely upgrade to a NOBO or something of that nature. I don’t think it’s worth the frame issues to mess with risers, without major frame modifications.

I did install the outriggers for the slide out, didn’t have to lift it that much to correct it. 

We have put about 11,000 mile on our 179 since we purchased it in January of 2019, with no major issues.

Once again thanks for the input
M
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 7:00am
I agree, if you don't need to raise your pod for clearance either from the ground or the wheel wells then don't add the risers. In addition to putting more stress on the frame they will increase drag (because the trailer sits higher and presents more frontal area) and lower your fuel economy a bit.

If I were to get another trailer with a desire for rougher road travel I'd try to find one with a conventional leaf spring axle rather than a torsion axle. Much more forgiving design because the load on the frame is at 4 points not two and there is no rotational moment imposed on the frame by the suspension.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 9:08am
The leaf springs and the I-beam frame rails were a couple of a number of factors that led to our switch from our 172 to our current trailer.  The trailer has better ground clearance than did our 172 with its added risers, so it handles rough dirt roads better and I don't have to worry about bending the frame.  The Sonoma is a FR product in the same weight class as R-Pods with a Lippert chassis.  I don't know why FR continues to use the thin walled box beam chassis on the R-Pod when they already have I-beam chassis in their small trailer lineup.  The mileage with the slightly wider and higher trailer did not materially vary from that with our Pod.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 11:31am
Some folks (I'm one) much prefer the narrower body style of the rpods. But there's no obvious reason FR couldnt make the narrow bodies with more robust leaf spring axles and frame rails. My European built horse trailer is compact, lightweight, well balanced, and has dual leaf spring axles and dead simple bullet proof inertially activated brakes. Tows great.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 2:26pm
Our Sonoma is actually narrower overall than an R-Pod because the wheels are not cantilevered outside the trailer.  Its width is 7' overall, as opposed to the 8' fender to fender measurement of the R-Pod.  The front surface area has about 2 1/2 square feet more.  I would like to add some pneumatic shock absorbers to soften the bumps, but it's really not worth it for a low end Forest River travel trailer.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 6:30am
The rpods are narrower in the trailer body improving rear visibility. So I didn't need extension mirrors with mine, keeping everything overall narrower and cleaning up my TV. My horse trailer is the same way, narrow body with outboard wheels. I like it that way. And there will be a difference in drag/fuel consumption. It's just hard to measure due to all the other variables.

We've had this discussion before LA, it comes down to being a personal preference. I think your trailer design is fine and I'm glad it works well for you. It would be a boring world indeed if there were only one right answer for everyone. Certainly no reason to argue about it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 8:33am
I use the stock non-extending mirrors on my F-150 and have no problems seeing behind.  A narrower TV, such as mid-sized SUV, might need extensions and would be happier with the lighter 170 series of R-Pod weight wise.  So, indeed, it all boils down to what works best for each person.  We really enjoyed our 172, but as my geezerness set in, a walk around bed, a full bath, and an easy to get in and out of dinette became more important.  No arguments from this side; just personal preference.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 10:20am
+1 

The stock mirrors on our F150 lets us see behind the Rpod pretty well. The narrow body on our Rpod is a real plus to me. I think the biggest issue with older Rpods is that they made the frame too narrow, which created the cantilever axles, which required outriggers, etc. etc.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>