This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Decal removal lessons leanred

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decal removal lessons leanred
    Posted: 31 May 2022 at 2:03pm
We stayed home this past Memorial day weekend since we had been on the road for the past three weeks and had a laundry list of general fixes and repairs to make to the the 179. One of the things we have wanted to do for a while is clean up the outside appearance of Rpod which was weathered and faded. Having three days with trailer in the driveway, we decided now was as good a time as ever to remove the faded, cracked decals and restore the finish so we could apply the new decals we purchased from RV Decals Direct. Here are a few tips and tricks and things we learned from the three day adventure. We chose to remove all of the "RPod" decals, Frog and the wider side stripe. We left the two thinner side stripes which were still in good shape. 

Don't bother with hair dryers, plastic razor blades and Goo Gone, WD-40 or Goof Off. They are all a waste of time, money and energy. Instead use a real heat gun, razor blade scraper and Rapid Remover. To get some of the most weathered and cracked decals off, especially the side stripe, I had my Blue Point heat gun turned up to 8, sometimes 9 with 10 being the highest the gun will go. A typical hairdryer won't even come close to that kind of heat. While a hair dryer will work on some stickers, it will be ineffective and the heavily weathered stuff. Also, when using a razor blade scrapper, temper the blade first by dragging it over a smooth, hard surface several times. This will keep the blade from "bitting" into the finish. 

Finally, Rapid Remover is your go to adhesive remover. We knew early on that we may not have enough of the product and bought some Goo Gone since I could only find Rapid Remover on Amazon. When Goo Gone didn't even touch the residual adhesive after the decal was removed, we tried Goof Off, then WD-40. Even after allowing those products to sit on the adhesive for 10, 15, 20 minutes, none of them did what Rapid Remover did in one minute. The stuff is that good but be aware it is not as oily as the other choices. If you are using it on a hot sunny day, the product will evaporate and you will have to use significantly more. We used a full, 32oz bottle for the job.

The RPod decals came off the easiest followed by the frog decals. Plan on an hour or so per decal including removing the adhesive. The side stripe is another story. We easily spent three hours per side removing the large stripe. Even with that, there were small patches of adhesive that would not come off even with multiple applications of Rapid Remover. We were planning on adding a new stripe of thicker, outdoor sign vinyl so we weren't too concerned. I've used this before on motorcycles and ATVs and it holds up quite well. Usually available at local sign shops and comes in a huge assortment of colors.

We used Meguiars' M6732 One Step Gel Coat compound to restore the chalky Rpod finish back to something with a little more shine. I used a wool bonnet on an old Sears polisher I had. Once I got the hang of it, it went pretty quick with my wife doing the tight areas by hand. Be sure to read the instructions and do not apply in direct sunlight. We started at about 5:30am and had a shiny 179 by 8:30. While the buffed surfaces were much better, they still were a bit discolored where the decals were removed and the new shiny surface exposed. Still the Pod looked tons better.

We ran out of energy and never got to applying the new decals. We will save that for another day. It was a lot of work for a couple of folks in their lates 60's but we are pleased with the finished product. Much better than the faded Rpod with weathered graphics. 

Be safe out there!
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 4:11pm
Great write up, sounds like you had satisfactory results with a lot of effort put forward.  For the new decals that you will be applying in the future I would recommend a product called "Protect-All."  A friend of ours years ago showed us his boat and I remarked how he must have recently had new decals applied.  Actually they were about 10 years old but looked new, amazing considering how it sits out on the water and full sun day after day.  Anyway we purchased this product when our 177 was just 2 years old and now apply it to all decals 2x/year and am amazed at how the decals have held up, considering that the 177 was brought home March 2011.  Certainly the sun is no where as intense here in northern Michigan as where you are in NM, nevertheless IMHO you may want to try this product out and see for yourself.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:25pm
Thanks, Jato. We'll definitely check that out. We really don't want to go through this again. 

Something I forgot to mention is that Rapid Remover will loosen any chalking it comes in contact with, so we will be doing some new chalking in the near future.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 10:58pm
You might also have tried mineral spirits. That is good for removing adhesives also, and is likely less volatile than the Rapid Remover from what I read in your description.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 2:05pm
Great suggestion, Stephen. The 179 is still in the driveway and I have a 10" section of side stripe decal that has been removed but the adhesive remains. I was waiting for a new bottle of Rapid Remover to show up from Amazon tomorrow. I did have some mineral spirits on hand, though, so I gave it a go at lunch. The verdict is: marginally better than WD-40, Goo Gone and Goof Off. Not as effective as Rapid Remover. May work great on the larger decals that did not leave as much residue as the side stripe.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 2:40pm
I hope you are wearing protective equipment and have good chemical resistant gloves while you are using RapidRemover (or any other solvent for that matter). I just pulled up the MSDS for it.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 4:29pm
No wonder it worked so well!
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
 Post Reply Post Reply