This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

EscaPOD Adventures - 2022 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EscaPOD Adventures - 2022 edition
    Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:23pm
I keep my speed between 60-70mph as well. Not sure what y everyone's hurry is out there. I think there is a competition to see what one-ton truck can pull its fifth wheel the fastest. I keep a bottle jack in the Pod as well as a jack-stand just in case. Hope you have safe travels home.

What year is your Frontier? The rear end going out is concerning. 
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:15pm
It is a 2010 Frontier. It is not something I would have expected, especially since I have it in for service regularly. Hopefully, your 2016 RPod is many years away from such issues. We have over 163,000 on ours. With the age and mileage, I wold be surprised if nothing went wrong. As it is, with a new rear end, we should be set for many, many more miles. That being said, I would like to trade for something with more power. I really notice the lack of power when we are towing above 6,000 feet. A turbocharger or supercharger would make a big difference, but those are not available.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 12:19pm
Time for an update. I have completed welding, and then installing the two new heavy-duty outriggers. These won't break like the factory supplied ones did. The frame bend will have to wait until we get back home to address. I am thinking about adding a plate to each side of the frame and through-bolting it to strengthen the frame in that area. I don't know how difficult it would be to straighten the frame first.  I just looked again. There is a very slight bend on the door side and a more visible bend on the slide side to deal with once we get back.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 4:27pm
Okay. We made it home without further incident. I did take the advice and put the spare in the back of the truck and rearranged things to make the load on the back end of the RPod as light as possible. Now that I am home, I will set up an appointment to get it checked out and repaired. Hopefully, part of the repair will be to add some strengthening to the frame so it will be less likely to bend in the future.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 5:14pm
Keep us posted on what they decide to do. Thanks for the updates.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:40am
Monday the trailer will be looked at and I will have a better idea of what it will take to repair it. I know some welding will be involved as I see a crack in the frame on the slide side. The good thing is that it looked to be pretty stable and did not expand any on the way home, even when we did hit some rough roads.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 10:16am
I towed our EscaPOD to Littleton, NC yesterday. Today, the frame should be straightened and reinforced. The person recommended was Andrew Smiley. He will be welding plates to the frame on the bottom behind the riser and on the side on the outside of the frame. This is in addition to welding the crack on the driver's side.

The best thing is that the cost of repair should be much less than I was expecting. I will still relay the information to Lippert, but I'm not going to try to file with insurance since that would likely lead to higher rates so paying the cost out of pocket is likely a better option.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 4:16pm
Glad you found a shop you like that was willing to take in the work. Did you end up deciding the axle camber was ok or are you having to get that recambered?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 4:46pm
Not sure about the axle. Once the frame is straightened, then I will be able to tell about the axle better. Andrew thought it did not look bad. I also want to look at the tires for any unusual wear. They have a couple of thousand miles on them from Utah to Arizona to home.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 4:59pm
Ditto on finding a shop. I have read where some shops aren't taking RVs over a few years old because they are overwhelmed by warranty work and can't find workers.

The whole bent frame thing has me shaking my head. Having spent years working in and owning a motorcycle shop, bent frames where something you would expect from either a serious crash or from an inferior brand like something from China. To have a frame bend from "normal" use blows my mind.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>