R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

surge protectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: surge protectors
    Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm
Great! I'm glad to see someone added that feature, and it has been confirmed to work correctly. It makes it possible to use a 50 to 30A dog bone without overcurrent risk. It's not quite the same as actually having a 30A breaker in the line because the relay in the surge protector isn't likely to be rated to clear the really high currents from a direct fault like a breaker is. So I would still only use the dog bone on a 50A receptacle if there was no 30A available. Just place the surge protector at the dog bone output so it protects all the downstream cabling as well as the internal trailer circuits.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:19am
You do need to check to make sure you get the right Power Watchdog...I accidentally bought my first one that only had overvoltage...so had to go back and buy the more expensive one that has the over and under voltage. Now I have a back up just in case I need to rob the replaceable surge protector from the lesser one.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 6:29pm
Over and under voltage are common. Overcurrent is unusual, this is the only one I've heard of.

I'm sure it is using a relay to disconnect the trailer so it won't have a high fault current interrupt rating like a listed circuit breaker does. High fault currents can occur if the circuit gets shorted.

If you are using it with a 50A dog bone then you will still be depending on the park's 50A breaker to interrupt the fault current which could occur in the 30A rated cable to the trailer and the trailer wiring between the power inlet and the trailer main breaker.

So using this device with the dog bone will still most likely be an Electric Code violation, because the Code requires listed overcurrent protection devices, although it will be much safer than using the dog bone without it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:17pm
I purchased a Hughes Autoformer. It has the capability to not just warn about undervoltage, but to boost the voltage.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by campman

You do need to check to make sure you get the right Power Watchdog...I accidentally bought my first one that only had overvoltage...so had to go back and buy the more expensive one that has the over and under voltage. Now I have a back up just in case I need to rob the replaceable surge protector from the lesser one.
Yes. Make sure it's an EPO model.

Originally posted by StephenH

I purchased a Hughes Autoformer. It has the capability to not just warn about undervoltage, but to boost the voltage.
I'm tempted. The voltage in my storage unit is horrible, so I can't run much (including the converter) without the Watchdog going to under voltage cutoff.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 1:37pm
Hello all,

I thought I would add to this thread, as it isn't very old and has a lot of good info on the various EPO's, surge protectors and the top one, the Autoformer to protect your trailer.

We just went through the process of moving to a different province and having a home built. Of course we added a 30 amp rv plug outside, just in case.

Well, I went this last weekend and was going to plug our trailer in and carry out some repairs. I had the power cord out and ready to plug in, when I stopped in my tracks and wondered if the new 30 amp plug was wired correctly. The contractor who did the work was certified, they build a lot of homes...it should be good, right?

WRONG!!! I went over, unpacked my smaller Hughes Power Watchdog (it has indicator lights on the outside to show if the power provided is good, and tells you generally what is wrong if it isn't correct). I plugged it in and right away it showed me a serious problem, the power line (L1) was reversed with the neutral wire.

So, I shut off the cb at the house panel, took the 30 amp plug apart and switch the two wires in the plug (the L1 and the neutral wire) that were backwards. I reassembled
the plug, attached it to the wall, turned the cb at the house panel back on and checked my Power Watchdog to see if there were any further electrical issues. All was good so I plugged the trailer in and carried on with my day and got everything done that I needed to do.

Moral of the story, trust no power plug at home or anywhere else! I don't care if someone is a professional or not, mistakes can happen to anyone. (think Swiss Cheese model, for the aero-nautically minded).

I am pretty sure that I might have damaged some of the electrical equipment in our trailer if I hadn't checked to make sure, and that could have cost far more than my Watchdogs did.

Thanks, and I hope this helps others protect their own trailer (and wallet). :-)

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Brennen Thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brennen Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:19pm
The PWD30-EPO is another RV arrester that offers exceptional performance. It offers 3,000 joules of surge protection, which is more than enough to protect expensive devices like my PS4 and laptop from electrocution. Plus, this device is plug-and-play, making it easy to set up.You can find a lot of useful information at: https://www.riversidetrailer.com/best-rv-surge-protectors/
Brennen Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12