R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Question about solar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about solar
    Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:08pm
Hi everyone! We recently purchased a 2019 176 and have taken it out a couple times and love it so far, and we're planning to do some camping this summer in places without hookups, so we're trying to figure out a relatively lightweight and inexpensive way to do it. I found these 90W solar panels online, which have shown up positively in some reviews and seem both incredibly portable at about 7 lbs + only around $140 currently: https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Perfect-Compatible-LionCooler-Freezer/dp/B07TWDJ1QS/?th=1

I assume we'll need to get a charge controller to use with it and then just go from panels to controller to battery with alligator clips, and that it might be (?) just plug and play for relative solar and battery novices? We were looking at the Renogy 100W suitcase and it's currently on sale for around $200, but it's more than 20 lbs, which feels like a significant difference. Thank you!
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:17pm
I use this:  

Very portable has controller and everything you need.  The stands for holding up the panels are a bit flimsy but so far it has worked great.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 3:57am
That solar module has an ETFE (Tefzel) front surface. Tefzel is a polymer (plastic). That is what makes it light and flexible. But it also makes it susceptible to breakage, moisture intrusion, etc. The solar cells inside are easily broken and are moisture sensitive.

So if you absolutely must have the lightest thing and aren't concerned about long life, go ahead. Just don't expect it to last very long.

But if you want a product that will last a long time then get one with a glass front and an aluminum frame. That is the well proven solar industry standard. Glass solar modules are designed to last 25-30 years or more, and many have been operating much longer than that.

It will be heavier but it's not like you're carrying it around a lot. You'll set it up when you make camp and take it down when you leave. Also consider that you want to tilt the module so it faces south. You will need to tie or weight down the plastic front module or it will blow over in a light breeze. The glass one will stay up (but you'll still want to lay it flat if you're expecting higher winds).

Yes, you will need a charge controller so you don't overcharge your battery(ies). You will see that there are two types, PWM and MPPT. Both types regulate how high the voltage on the battery can get.

PWM stands for pulse width modulation which means that the controller is rapidly connecting and disconnecting the solar module from the battery to maintain the proper battery voltage.

MPPT stands for max power point tracking which means that the controller is also independently varying the voltage the solar module sees in order to keep the module producing as much power as possible.
For the controller to make that adjustment the solar module has to run at a higher operating voltage than the battery does. And MPPT controllers are more complex and expensive than PWM ones.

So for a simple 100 watt or so solar system I recommend getting a PWM controller. The small amount of extra energy you'd get from an MPPT controller isn't really worth the extra cost and complexity.

If you stick with a glass solar module not much can go wrong. There are a lot more problems with low quality charge controllers, like there are with any other cheap electronic item. So I recommend getting a good quality controller from a reputable company. My personal favorites are Morningstar and Victron (not saying that there aren't other good ones out there).

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 7:05am
We have had the Renogy suitcase 100w system for over 4 years.  It works well, is well made and I can definitely recommend it. It is simple and effective
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 8:53am
+1 on the Renogy solar suitcase.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
billyingolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 1:22pm
Thank you all so much, and especially for the detailed description of the components offgrid! It sounds like for the combination of quality, convenience, and longevity, the added weight of the Renogy solar suitcase is likely worth the tradeoff. We also have a small Jackery power station that we'll be able to use with the suitcase as well, so that's a nice bonus.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 9:53am
We scored a GoPower 130W suitcase kit from Craigslist. Works great but new they are pricey. We skip the whole solar plug drama and just clip to the battery bank. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 2:36pm
Also might add that unless you have a sizable battery bank (which is possible on an Rpod with some effort and planning) and/or you are camping where you are certain of sunshine during your stay, you may need to supplement with a gas generator. On a recent trip, we were all but certain of warm sunshine and instead experienced 4 days of clouds and rain. Fortunately we never leave home without our portable solar kit and a 2000w gas generator.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 3:54pm
I have the ECO-WORTHY kit shown above.  It works nicely and is quite compact.  I keep it in a medium garbage can for emergencies, with other electronics. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Gregs Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregs Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 1:50pm
Gpocluda.....What is this "solar plug drama"? I am having trouble with my GoPower 220 flex panels and GP30 UL controller that were installed using the prewire through roof connector. Never kicks above 1 charging amp and batts run down. Have replaced controller and wiring, each time tech touches the though roof connector they claim the amps go up but I haven't seen it. getting ready to test panel output gain bit it was fine last time I chekced.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>