R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AC Acting Up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Acting Up!
    Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 5:46am
Last night, my rooftop 13,500 btu AC started running rough. It won't start up on it's own, so I took the inside cover off, and I can manually turn the fan wheel and it starts up. It will blow cool air, but doesn't run smooth. And is loud. I saw that this Dometic AC has a lifespan of about 5 years. My R-pod is 2016. I found a Dometic 13,500 Brisk II for $850 but it has some bad reviews. I would like to get mine running, but maybe I should just spring for a new one. Any ideas?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 5:57am
If it's just the fan/can motor then it is probably worth just replacing that, but does the compressor start up and the evaporator (inside coil) get cold? I mean really get cold, not just blow some cool air.

You can also usually tell when the compressor starts because there will be a short voltage drop from the high conpressor starting current. If you have an ac light plugged in it will dim (brownout) momentarily.

Also, if it's making noise and running rough then it might only be binding on something and be a simple fix. Take a close look to see what causing the noise. The motor turns two fans on a single shaft, one outside for the condenser coil and one inside for the evaporator coil.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 5:29pm
I can start it with the thermostat, and it makes a hum. Then I have to manually reach up and give the fan a spin. That gets it started. It ran cold long enough to bring 82 degrees down to the set 72 then it shuts completely off. I've been watching Youtube videos all afternoon. I'm not technically savy. I know little about ACs. But necessity is a good motivater. I leaned it has 2 coils, evaporator, and condensor.I was able to reach in and vacuum the evaporator coil, but it looks like I will have to mount the roof to examine the rear condenser coil. Don't have the ladder or energy yet for that. I don't know if the roof will hold me standing up on it. If I do go up there, I will take some coil cleaner, phillips screwdriver and towels. Anybody know if there is a thin filter besides the 2 little slide out ones inside? Somebody said check for loose wires on top of compresser. Somebody else said it could be a refrigerant leak, and if so I should buy a new AC. But it was just blowing cold air, so maybe it's not that. A professional AC tech said check for dirty condenser coil FIRST, And "AC units are the most neglected thing you own" ?
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 5:55pm
Just read the the reason I have to kick start the fan is because it has a bad start capaciter. Anybody know where that's located?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 5:56pm
If it's cooling the interior like that then the compressor is working and you can rule that out. There isn't a filter on the roof condenser coil but again if youre cooling well once the fans start spinning them then a dirty condensr coil isn't the problem either.

The fan assembly is the problem if you're having to start it by spinning it by hand. Is it binding up or rubbing on somehing? That would explain the noise.

If not then a new fan motor is likely your next step. There are replacement kits including motor fans, and connectors for around $150 available online.

I imagine the replacement will take some time and will require you to get on the roof. You can stay on hands and knees up there, and place a piece of plywood where you will be working. Also set your stabilizing Jacks so you're not rocking around up there.

OTOH I don't blame you for not wanting to get on the roof and doing this. No shame in going to an RV shop and paying them to do it. If you go that way it's likely you'll save enough on labor by just swapping that it's better to get a new a/c unit.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 6:32pm
After watching another video, I suspect it's the start capaciter. He had the same problem, it would run if he spinned the fan blade like me. He replaced the capaciter and started right up. It is running smooth, blowing cold, no noise or rubbing. I think the capaciter is under 20 bucks, if I can find where it's located? and get the right one.Looks like a quick swap out beside the unit on the roof. It's hard to find a video of my particular Dometic AC. Thanks offgrid!
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 6:55am
I still don't know what start capaciter to order, or where it's located. I do know I wish I had a young man to climb up and do the work. The capaciter holds a significant charge which can zap you, even with the breaker off.
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 3:12pm
Had the start capaciter removed. Waiting to hear from Camping World if they can get it. Also called Digikey. My start capaciter has a manufacture date 2014. No one has told me with certainty if they have one or a suitable replacement. Digikey seems to think they have an upgrade version. But I need afirmation, as it has to be the right one, and I only want to do this once.
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 7:06pm
Richardd,  I have purchased several parts from Digikey and have been happy with all of them.  The capacitors they normally sell are a close replacement on Capacitance and Voltage, but a better quality.  Physical size will differ a little from one maker to the next.  If you give us the manufacture's name and number on your cap,  maybe we can come up with number for a good replacement.

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 6:49am
Thanks Tom, so are you saying you replaced the capacitors on your AC with Digikey capaciters?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>