This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Campers Flea Market
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Westlake Tire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westlake Tire
    Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:27am
Thanks, please mark as Taken, and delete post.
New, unused, still has the labels on, LT 235/75R15, CR 857. $25.00 Cdn.
Cannot ship, must be picked up, Canmore area.
Rana
Stay well and stay healthy in these difficult times.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:31am
What is the DOT date code on that tire?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:59am
I don't know the answer to that, I'll get the tire out of my storage locker, find something that says DOT and take a photo for you, OK? Might take me a couple of hours.
Rana
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 12:45pm
Hi Rana.

The date code on a tire is usually set into a small elongated oval on the side wall of each tire. It consists of 4 numbers...for example... 5120...the first 2 numbers note the week manufactured (52 weeks in a year so this example shows it was made in the 2nd last week of December) and the last 2 numbers are the year of manufacture (2020 in this example). December of 2020.

Tires are considered "timed out" at 5 to 6 years and are recommended to be changes out even if they have not been used, due to excessive age. This is applicable to trailer tires and your passenger/tow vehicles as well.

Good luck in your search and I hope this helps you out!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:47pm
Thanks Andy, most helpful, 3914, which means it is 8 years old, which means it should really be recycled. I'll reply to the other post, and then find out how to take this one down!
Rana
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:56pm
Here is a photo of what I found. Thanks to Andy, Campman, I see that the tire is 8 years old and so it should be recycled. I'll pay the $10.00 recycle fee. I guess someone could use it as a boat dock or tow truck bumper rather than have it consigned to a landfill somewhere overseas!
Rana
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 7:59pm
Glad we could help. It is a common question people have, and where a forum like this can be such a big help.

I wouldn't worry about taking it down as someone can be doing a search in the future and find the info useful!

Take care till next time,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 2:53pm
There are a lot of uses for old tires like this, but the easiest is recycling.

We used to use them for holding tarps down on hay bale piles, on trailers that are used around the farm but never go on the road/highway, or let your inner redneck out and use for planters at the end of the driveway.

If you have a big tree, some rope and a drill you can make a tire swing. Cut it up for dock corners and edging as you said. For me the limit is what my better half will allow!    ;-)

As for the new Westlake tires that came on my trailer last year, I put better tires on it, got steel rims and had the Westlake tires installed on them. Now I swap them out when I put our rp192 away for the winter. In spring I just put the good rims and higher rated tires back on and off we go. Gives me plenty of time to check everything on the trailer (brakes, greasing etc) while doing it in the comfort of my garage.

Cheers

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
Rana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 12:50pm
Thanks Andy, yes, some great ideas for tires.

Westlakes came fitted, but unfortunately we had one blow out on the road, luckily going slow enough to control the sway and make it to the kerb. When we looked at the other one we noticed several large pieces of the tread were missing. Have now fitted some Carlisle tyres and put one on the spare rim, hence the unused Westlake.
For the winter we put the trailer up on axle stands and store the tires in the crawl space, a laborious job, but worth it.
Just planning a cross-Canada trip to Halifax in the Fall, and busy pre-booking campsites, seems to be lots of space.
Enjoy your summer,
Alasdair.

Rana
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 9:41pm
Ah, a cross country adventure, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

I would caution you not to "shortcut" through New Brunswick via Highway 108...we made the mistake last year on our way to Halifax to see family...it is a glorified goat track in awful surface condition. It is also a racetrack for logging trucks.

As for camping, we utilized an app called boondockers welcome though it is now under Harvest Hosts. Almost free camping most places and met the nicest hosts.

It might not be for everyone but worked for us. We also used iOverlander for some nights and stayed at Big Ax Brewery in NB, a nice flat spot overlooking the river. Great spot to stop and bought some of their product. :-)

Have a great one,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>