R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Flexible Solar Panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flexible Solar Panels
    Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:37pm
As a retired solar design and reliability test engineer I recommend NOT getting any so called flexible solar modules. Solar cells are crystalline silicon and as such are not flexible. They will fracture and break over time. Also, this type of product uses a polymer (plastic) cover which will both allow moisture to penetrate as well as subject the cells to impact damage from hail, rocks etc. In addition, directly attaching a solar module to a roof is bad for both the roof and the module due to excessive heating.

Get a glass solar module with an aluminum frame and either mount it on the roof with a air space or keep it portable. It will last much longe, perform better, and you will be happier with it over time. I have designed, tested, and provided customer service for both types of product for many years and can assure you I am very familiar with them.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
106G View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 3:18pm
I am planning to mount flexible solar panels to the from of my Rpod. Has anyone done this? If so, what brand panels or retailer do you recommend. I would like batteries to charge while driving & keep fridge running on battery power.

Thanks,
Jack
2019 Rpod 190
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12