R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

attaching cell booster pole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote _WW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: attaching cell booster pole
    Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 9:22am
I'm getting one of these cell boosters and am wondering if anyone else has used this and how they attached their pole at the top of the POD. I'd like to attach it on the hookup side of the trailer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WTRVG61/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
2014 RAM 1500
2016 R Pod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 10:51am
I would not attach on top of the RPod. I made a mount for an amateur radio antenna that allows me to place the vertical antenna on the A frame of the trailer. I have a Stromberg-Carlsen Trailer Tray. My bracket allows me to set a PVC pipe on it and tie it to the front vertical brace of the trailer tray. The antenna is mounted on the PVC pipe. It would not be too difficult to do something similar for the cellular booster. I'll need to take and add a couple of pictures.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 4:06pm
I used a telescoping pole from Amazon and just clamped it to the edge of the slide with 3 clamps when I set up camp. I mounted a direction cell antenna to the top of the pole. The pole/antenna collapse nd Liam on the floor of the trailer or on the bed when travelling.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
_WW_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote _WW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by offgrid

I used a telescoping pole from Amazon and just clamped it to the edge of the slide with 3 clamps when I set up camp. I mounted a direction cell antenna to the top of the pole. The pole/antenna collapse nd Liam on the floor of the trailer or on the bed when travelling.

The unit I'm getting has a telescoping pole with it. I didn't think about using the slide out. Looking for appropriate clamps now!
2014 RAM 1500
2016 R Pod 179
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 8:04pm
I use two "RV Suction Cup Antenna Mounts" like on those on Amazon.  I think I got them from a different retailer.  I use a 3 section fiberglass paint roller pole.

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 2:46am
If you are using a directional antenna (which is needed in many situations) then a convenient way to rotate it slowly while checking signal strength is required. In my experience the pointing process takes more time during setup than making the connections and raising the pole.

I would put two clamps on to hold the pole in position and rotate it by releasing the bottom clamp slightly. Once in position then I'd add the third clamp.

Also Android phones have much better signal strength apps available than IOS in my experience.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
_WW_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote _WW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 10:01am
Originally posted by offgrid

If you are using a directional antenna (which is needed in many situations) then a convenient way to rotate it slowly while checking signal strength is required. In my experience the pointing process takes more time during setup than making the connections and raising the pole.

I would put two clamps on to hold the pole in position and rotate it by releasing the bottom clamp slightly. Once in position then I'd add the third clamp.

Also Android phones have much better signal strength apps available than IOS in my experience.

I camped next to a friend for a week in Montana that had the same system as the one I'm purchasing. It worked great for the Verizon android that we use! There are also apps out there that will tell you where the nearest cell tower is. Just gotta remember to consult it before leaving home or cell coverage.
2014 RAM 1500
2016 R Pod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply