R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Solar prewire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gregs Pod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregs Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar prewire?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 1:40pm
Its the one that came on a 2019...I'll check. Thats the connector on the roof yes?
Gregs Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregs Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 1:37pm
Thank you

They are 12v Marine RV in parallel on the tongue. Controller is in the precut and wired hole in the same overhead cabinet as the radio toward the back. It was installed by the dealer. Who I will talk to tomarrow. 

By directly you mean batteries to the panels or converter? I would think controller is in between panels and battery and not through the converter. I think both batteries are  to the Battery A connector on the converter but cant tell until I open it .

Yes there's full sun. The odd thing was that the sun symbol on the controller  came on when we unplugged one of four connectors on the roof mount and then just plugged it back in it came on but just for one day. Needs dialectic grease? short?

Thanks for the advice on use of meter 
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 12:45pm
  If the Rpod still has a Zamp connector then you may need to have a reverse polarity connector. Zamp's polarity is different from most all manufactures of solar panels by what I understand.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 8:10am
The two batteries you have are next to each other in the battery rack, right? And they are both 12V batteries?

If yes than connect them together in parallel directly, not at the solar charge controller. The controller doesn't know it care if there is one battery there or two.

If that doesn't solve your problem then first a dumb question, is your solar power system getting direct sun?

If it is then you should get a multimeter to troubleshoot further so you're not working in the blind. Get one with a DC current meter clamp on so you can measure both voltage and current, they are quite inexpensive on Amazon and elsewhere. Be sure it measures DC not just AC current.

Once you have the meter you can check that you get battery voltage on the controller battery terminals and something around 18V on the solar module terminals (with the solar disconnected and in full sunlight). Check for proper polarity also. Then reconnect the solar system and use the clamp on and DC current setting to see if you're charging.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Gregs Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregs Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 8:25pm
Hello;

2019 191 here stupid question, or at least one that seems to have an obvious answer. 

does the prewire have two sets of wires for two batteries?

I understand the rpod was "prewired" for solar. We had two Go Power panels and  GP-PWM-30-UL controller installed with the one battery. Later had second battery installed at a dealer that is now out of business. It seemed to work but had been draining rapidly in storage and the controller shows the moon symbol during day meaning that the panels are not connected. One tech removed and replaced the connector on the roof and cleaned the panel and walla sun symbol came back but bummer....24 hours later is off again. So maybe roof was prewired but not for two batteries and set up is bad or maybe a short....two separate problems,,,no solar charge and fast drain after charging by shore power

My diagnosis is that the controller indicates only one battery attached. tech says thats ok and both are wired in parallel through one connector on the controller. Obvious answer is open it and connect second battery wires to port b. however if not prewired for two...choices ...run new wire for second battery, ok as is, but bad battery choice, a short is sucking power

So my winded question is, does the prewire have two sets of wires if I open it. Thats the plan.

per manual could also be a short or battery b reverse polarity, or maybe two marine rv flooded batteries in parellel is not a good choice, twas what was avaialable....thoughts appreciated\
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12