R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Simple (hopefully) question about brake adjustment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Simple (hopefully) question about brake adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simple (hopefully) question about brake adjustment
    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:22pm
This is a question for you auto-mechanic types. I'm getting ready to adjust the brakes on my 2017 179, I've watched all of the how-to videos from Lippert and am confused about something. All of the diagrams and YouTube vids show a single rectangular rubber plug on the back of the drum for access,  but mine have two. Before  I  get  under there on my back,  I thought I'd check and see if anyone knows how/why this differs from the standard single-access drums. Not sure if one is tighten and one is loosen, or if there is something else going on  here. I've Googled and cannot find any information. Appreciate any advice/clarification.
And thanks in advance!
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:36pm
The reason for the two openings is that it make the back plate interchangeable right or left side, the star adjuster that you are looking for should be behind the opening in the rear this helps
Jay

179/2019
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by JR

The reason for the two openings is that it make the back plate interchangeable right or left side, the star adjuster that you are looking for should be behind the opening in the rear this helps

Thx JR that does help. I'm pretty adept at most things Pod-related except for mechanical systems like brakes, axles, etc. I just didn't want to get down there and start poking around Confused
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 5:26am
Be aware that it's quite difficult to manually adjust self adjusting drum brakes. You have to get two tools in that little hole, one to pry back the tab that acts to make the star operate like a ratchet and one to pry the star around. And the star teeth are asymmetrical meaning that they like to pry in one direction which is tightening. If you wind up tightening too much you can't get the star to back off and the result is locked up brake drums that won't come off without a lot of force.

Why do you want to adjust the stars manually? Is there a brake that's too tight or not engaging? If not I'd suggest leaving them alone until you pull the wheels to inspect the shoes and repack the bearings. Then you can remove my corrosion from the adjustment system and get them set where you want them with the drums off.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 9:05am
Thx offgrid- what caused  me to go  down this path was that I noticed at the end of last season that one of the drums was quite a bit hotter than the other. Once I had the unit  jacked up, I didnt  really notice any difference in tightness, so opted to leave  well enough alone. I greased up using the zerk fittings, and will leave the brakes and bearing repack for next year to a mechanic (I dont want to get into pulling the hubs, etc myself).

Post Reply Post Reply