R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AC Bolt Failed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote OutdoorFam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Bolt Failed
    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 10:45am
I have a 2018 171 Hood River edition with a Dometic AC unit. I recently noticed that the back of my unit was hanging down. I figured out how to take down the airflow box inside and find the singular bolt on the aft of the unit had ruptured. I’m not sure how long it has been like that, but I have never noticed any leaking or evidence of water damage.

The real problem is that while I was trying to remove the internal bracket I managed to knock out the threaded bushings for the two front bolts. I can’t tighten them back up. I think that I might be score to remove them by hand, but I’m not sure what my next move is. I can’t figure out why they would use a press fit bushing. My only guess is so that the bushing fails before your roof if you over tighten them.

Any advice is appreciated.

gpokluda View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 4:35pm
Something similar happened on our recent trip. I noticed the airflow shroud hanging down and also notice a bolt dangling out from the vent. When I removed the shroud, I saw that the rear bolt had sheared just above the shoulder and the threaded bushing was loose. I seriously doubt you knocked the threaded bushing out, those are pressed in the overhead unit. I also noticed the two forward bolts were loose with the bolt heads backed out about 1/4". I tightened those up, fortunately the threaded bushing were still intact. 
When we got back 3700 miles later, I had more time and tools to apply a better fix. My guess is the front two bolts loosened, putting a shearing force and the back bolt and it failed. Our overhead unit also had two unused threaded bushing in the rear in addition to the one that failed. I made a bracket and applied a fix for the middle rear bolt so now the AC is secured at 5 points, not just 3. I also took the time to seal up every thing a little better with some foil duct tape I had laying around. 
Hope your repair was successful.

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply