R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Tongue Jack Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Tongue Jack Issue
    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 4:21am
Glad you (hopefully) have the problem resolved. But for others reading this thread it's not the best troubleshooting process to remove your safety systems temporarily. While troubleshooting is generally when you need them the most, too easy to short something while testing and trying to fix it. Most blown fuses I've experienced occurred during troubleshooting.

A better approach would be to use your multimeter to determine that you have continuity and low resistance across the fuse and holder and then move on to the motor while leaving the fuse in place to do it's work in case you have an oopsies poking around downstream.

More than likely you jiggled something which cleared some corrosion that was adding resistance and keeping the motor from producing full torque, so it could move the screw jack once you started it by hand but couldn't start by itself. If you can get the tip of a wd40 can in there to inject that it might displace enough water to keep the corrosion from reforming for a long time. Working the screw all the way back and forth a few times and lubricating that will help as well.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 9:35am
When you have electrical connections somewhere that gets wet, it is often advisable to use dielectric grease to keep the water out. When I had my airplane, I would use something called DC4 on any electrical connections that might get exposed to water. WD40 works OK, but it doesn't have a lot of sticking power.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
hiker39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hiker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 11:13am
I agree, I hate it when I don't nail the root cause.  If/when it fails again I just go the same route as marwayne and convert it to manual - that conversion is awesome BTW.  My last two TT's had manual cranks which never gave me one bit of trouble.  The more parts, the more opportunities for failure.  It's always good to keep things as simple as possible. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 5:42am
+1 Manual all the way. It's no big deal cranking a little trailer like an rpod up and down a couple of inches.

Yes there are fir sure better water displacement fluids than wd40 but the aviation ones are special order items. Wd40 is pretty much in everyone's tool cabinet already and will usually work ok. Just spray it often, and give it a good squirt before winter storage.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 10:32pm
Back in the day I maintained AT&T central office batteries and use "NO-OX-ID" on all the busbars.  I also use it on all my Vehicle batteries and never had one problem.  Amazon has it. 
https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Mooree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mooree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 1:55am
I have used these Quick Products's electric tongue jack. I put 3 on my wheel house fishhouse to raise and lower to the ice. They are quiet and they do move a little slow but that's ok with me. Any other jacks in this price range will not be alot faster. Comes with nice circuit breaker..you do have to get the wire ends to connect to the battery but that's ok. These jacks are very nice in my opinion..and believe me..if they had any issue's with anything you guy's would be the first to know.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 12:52pm
@OG - Manual tongue jacks are usually okay until you need to crank up the trailer and the rear of the TV to hitch your WDH spring bars (especially on uneven ground). I know, I know. All you have to do is pull the trailer to level ground and then hook up the spring bars and sometimes that is not an easy option. An electric jack makes it much easier plus it is a must for folks with shoulder and back issues. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 2:19am
I never had a problem attaching my wdh bars on uneven ground using the manual hitch, but I don't have shoulder problems.  For sure, if you do have a physical impairment  by all means get what you need to deal with it. In that case I think I'd still chose a manual jack plus battery drill solution as that allows for manual backup, unless the drill would also cause shoulder problems.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:35am
The jack we purchased from etrailer has a manual crank for when there is a lack of power. We use a drill driver for the stabilizer jacks already so we have the socket needed to use the drill driver on the tongue jack should we have to.

The electric jack is just a nice convenience that makes the overall experience enjoyable. It also helps my wife who performs the hookup duties when we leave camp so she can stay in practice should something happen to me.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12