This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

NEW 192 pod tomorrow...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW 192 pod tomorrow...
    Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:25am
The trailer GVWR should be 4840 according to your sticker. Since the You need to get a tape measure and measure the distance from the trailer axle to the ball and also from the Traverse rear axle to the ball. Also measure the length of your wdh bars, I'm sure they're not 30 inches, typically they're 18. And the wdh rating should be what's published for your hitch, in the range of 600-1000 lbs for your rig.
The trailer GVWR and tongue weight should be your actual fully loaded weights as measured on the public scale.

if you choose to never fill your water tanks be sure to drain and dump at the campground every time before you hit the road. Consider if that's really practical for the kind of camping you do. If it's not practical then fill your fresh water tank before you go to the scales. As a minimum, you need to have the water heater tank full when you weigh. That's about 50 lbs right there. Fill your fuel tank too and take your wife and pets (if any) and all the tools, folding chairs, bbq grills, propane tanks, ground cloths, etc etc. You will be surprised how quickly it all adds up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 12:38pm

Think I've made a few more adjustments.   Grabbed a pic of the hitch itself and measured the Bars, 35 inches long.  You're saying that's not to common, most the time much shorter?

Plan is to always dump before leaving a campground.  Most the time not planning to fill and travel with water.   Never have before.  Only time is when we select a site with no water hookup, filling at the campground before we set up.  Also planning to drain the HW tank as part of the tear down before travel.  Little things but that will help I'm sure.

I do need to get to the scales and weigh things as described earlier.  That will solidify what I'm thinking.  

'22 First RP 192
'19 RAM 1500 to pull it with
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 6:54pm
The wdhs I've seen have around 18 inch bars, but if yours are 35 inches then they are. To be clear, I'm talking about the spring bars which you put under tension to lift the hitch.

The place in the calculator that's used is to calculate the moment (torque) the wdh is applying at the ball to rotate the tow vehicle down in the front and up at the hitch. Once you have the calculator set up for your rig you can adjust the tension on the bars to get the weight on the front axle back to where it was without the trailer, which is the proper way to set up a wdh.

Start with no tension on the bars and don't have the bars tensioned when you go through the scales. Have the wdh installed though. You can put the wdh bars in the back of the tow vehicle for weighing if that's more convenient. The WDH is considered to be part of the tow vehicle not the trainer.

To get the water heater tank empty you have to pull the anode rod. You might be able to get most of the water out by pulling the heater tank pressure relief valve and opening a winterizing drain, not sure. Either way it's a bit of a PITA so hopefully you can stay within your weights without having to drain the water heater every time.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 9:34pm
Well, I got 5 measurements with weight.  

First  - Front axle with WDH - 2880
Second - Front/Rear Axle with WDH - 6200
Third - Front Rear Axe No WDH - 6300
Fourth - Fill Weight with WDH - 9820
Fifth Trailer axle only - 3580

Not sure what fields this will help fill in.  Will say we had 30 gal of fresh water within the trailer.  Pretty sure that's towards the front.  The traverse and WDH groaned a lot more in turns etc.  Felt heavy. As i understand it, generically, the website states that the hitch weight is 440 lbs. Using the worst-case dry weight (3,538 lbs), the hitch weight is (440/3,538) x 100 = 12.4% of the dry weight.   Should I use that to help figure the total weight of the trailer?  Or does that matter seeing that my axel weight of the trailer was 3580...

Also loaded as much cargo into the Traverse as I could.  A couple of cases of water, 40 lb dog food etc.
'22 First RP 192
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 6:38am
When you say you measured with the wdh you didn't have it tensioned did you? If you did that throws of everything so weigh again with the wdh in the reciever and the trailer connected, but the bars not tensioned or just toss the bars in the back of the Traverse. You do not need to get any weights with the wdh tensioned, the calculator takes care of that for you.

Add one axle to the scale at a time and record all 3 measurements. The front axle weight you get directly. The rear tow vehicle axle weight is the second measurement minus the front axle. The trailer axle weight is the 3rd measurement minus the second.

Now disconnect the trailer but leave the wdh in the reciever. Don't take anything out of the Traverse. Weigh again, first just the front axle then both. As before the rear axle is the second weight minus the first.

Tongue weight is the second measurement from the first weighing (both Traverse axles with the trailer) minus the second measurement from the second weighing (the Traverse without the trailer).

The total trailer weight is the 3rd measurement from the first weighing (total rig weight) minus the second measurement from the second weighing (total traverse weight without the trailer).

Fill the water heater before you weigh again if you haven't already.

Hope that helps.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 6:45am
I see what you're saying.  

When i went through it was with everything connected except the Third weight.  Left the bars in but no tension.  Obviously I need more measurements, didn't do this quite right.

What I don't think I like is the First and Second weights. The sticker shows heavier, unless that's max weight...  Makes me a little suspicious of the scale.  

'22 First RP 192
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 7:02am
The sticker does show the max rated weights. The R stands for rating. Put those sticker numbers in the calculator as the max rated numbers.

The weighings are to get actuals for comparison so put those numbers in the calculator in that area. Once you have everthing in the calculator you can look at the dual gauges at the bottom and see how close you are to your ratings. Note that the wdh does not increase any ratings, your tow vehicle and trailer have to be within spec without it.

Then you can input a bar tension in that input. Adjust that number so the front axle weight with the wdh equals the actual measured front axle weight without the trailer. That is the target when you set up your wdh. You get there by measuring front axle squat during wdh setup but it works the same as if you weighed again.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 12:11pm
Loved all the feedback on this, appreciate everyone's help.  End of the day, think i was putting my traverse at the edge of what we felt we could tow.  I don't want to white knuckle every trip.  Just makes more sense to pull the trigger and get into a 1/2 ton truck.  Can't wait to get the e-brake install in it and head out.

Thanks again for the help.
'22 First RP 192
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 2:16pm
Enjoy, make long lasting great memories, have fun.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 6:40pm
Good call I think. No point in being stressed out on the road getting to where you are supposed to be going to relax. Have fun with your new rig.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>