This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

NEW 192 pod tomorrow...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW 192 pod tomorrow...
    Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:16pm
Picking up our new 192 tomorrow at the dealer.  First hard sided camper since we last camped in a pop up for the last four years.  Really looking forward to not cleaning canvas! 

Fingers crossed they "fixed" things we found sitting on the lot.  Some rust areas mostly in the wheel well and scratches in the window.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 5:40pm
We picked up our 177 when it was early March in Escanaba (U.P. Michigan).  They had it indoors and warm, then spent over 3 hours with us going through all the plumbing, furnace, hot water tank and how all the controls worked as well as how to winterize, finding the valves and so on.  It was a wonderful experience, they even went over a couple things twice to make sure we understood how everything worked.  Hopefully your dealer will do the same before you hook it up and take it home. 

Make sure you record the walk-thru on your phone, have a list of questions to ask and make sure they answer them to your satisfaction. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 7:01pm
Congrats!

I offer the same advice as jato... I remember picking up our 178, which was our first travel trailer as well.  The walk thru tour felt a little overwhelming but I tried my best to pay attention and my wife made notes.  It was very helpful to be instructed in all the little things you didn't even know were things!

But honestly, this forum has answered more questions for me than I would have ever imagined.  My adult children make fun of me when I talk about the Rpod Forum, but they are also impressed when I know the answer to their questions too!:-)

Enjoy your Rpod!!
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 2:38pm
Thanks all, appreciate it.  Home with it all shiny looking.  I know that's not going to last long.

Walk through wasn't to bad, saw some things I wasn't aware of and learned a few things.  Most of the basics I was aware of and there are so many technical walk throughs on the 192's from dealers.  Those help.  Used a WDH for the first time on our Traverse, that's probably the biggest thing I'm getting comfortable with.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 3:47am
The Traverse is going to be pretty close to it's max towing limits hauling a 192, or over if you carry lots if gear.

You need to look at the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and the tongue weight as well as the trailer weight. The WDH does not actually increase any of these, it only improves handling by placing more weight back on the front axle.

So please do the following. Load the entire rig as you plan to actually travel. People, pets, supplies, fuel, gear, toolkit, water in the fresh water tank if youre carrying it, water in the water heater, batteries, etc. It adds up fast, youll be surprised.

Install the wdh but do NOT tension the bars, it will throw off the weights. Go to a public scale and weigh the rig, rolling on one axle at a time so you get the weight on each of the 3.

Then disconnect the trailer, leave the wdh in the receiver, and go through the scales again one axle at a time with just the Traverse and everything in it.

If you subtract the Traverse weight in the second weighing from the total combined rig weight from the first weighing you get the trailer weight.

Similarly, if you subtract the weight of the Traverse in the second weighing from the combined weight of the two Traverse axles from the first weighing you get the tongue weight.

Then put all your weights and specs in this calculator to see if you're within limits. Most of the load specs are on your driver's side door sticker or in the trailer sticker, some might be in your vehicle owners manual, and a couple will be length measurements you take. At the bottom of the calculator you will see dual gauges for each load spec.

If you're out of spec, you'll
have to remove some stuff or shift it around, or use a heavier tow vehicle. Up to you how close you want to get to each max limit, most of us want a decent safety factor (10-20 % or so) so we're not right at the hairy edge.

Have fun and be safe.

towing calculator
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 7:49am
+1 to OG advice.  Will be surprised if the Traverse will be able to safely haul a 192 around unless you travel empty or nearly so.  I have seen a lot of small vehicles tow large TT's around and wonder how they can stop in an emergency situation or similar, not a good thought.

Hopefully you will be able to make it work safely with your Traverse.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:02am
+2  to OG.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:52am
Originally posted by jato

+1 to OG advice.  Will be surprised if the Traverse will be able to safely haul a 192 around unless you travel empty or nearly so.  I have seen a lot of small vehicles tow large TT's around and wonder how they can stop in an emergency situation or similar, not a good thought.
The RPod's brakes make a huge difference in stopping. I have had to slow down very quickly more than once. If I did not have the RPod's brakes contributing to the stopping power, it would not have gone well. I really would like to have the electric over hydraulic disc brakes. The cost though is why we have the electric drum brakes.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:26am
I appreciate everyone's Sound Advice here. Obviously your experience is my gain.

We do plan to travel relatively empty. Told the wife that decorations are going to be kept to a minimum as well as no Towing with tanks full.

Since we are coming from a pop up world, we're pretty used to buying items once we arrived at our destination, IE water Gatorade Etc. So not too much of a change for us that way either. First trips are going to be somewhat local so that we can kind of gauge how everything pulls and how it feels.
'22 First RP 192
'19 RAM 1500 to pull it with
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:16pm
Started to fill out what I knew online in the calculator.  Not 100% sure I have all the numbers correct.  Anyone see anything I missed?

'22 First RP 192
'19 RAM 1500 to pull it with
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>