R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rpod 2020 192 windshield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kennedto100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 2020 192 windshield
    Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 9:53am
I was driving yesterday and the front windshield shattered.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Can I order a replacement from a local glass company or do I need to order from forest tiver?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tom
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 10:14am
Sadly, there have been many instances of issues of various kinds with the front windshields. I think this is the first time I've heard of one shattering, but I have not been paying that much attention to the issue. I (for one) would probably not want to get one with the windshield in the front.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 1:00pm
Have heard of quite a few members on the FB site complain of this happening, not only while en route but also when sitting still sitting at the campsite!  What I have read is that FR has been replacing the defective windows with a plexi-glass substitute or similar so that this event won't repeat itself.

If your r-pod is still under warranty, definitely contact FR for repair on their dime.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 12:12pm
Jato +1, see your dealer whether warrantied or not and see about getting the latest window version ordered. That is what is in ours (2021 rp192). Much superior construction than safety glass (these are the ones that much has been said about shattering for no reason) or dual pane versions (the rpod isnt a rigid enough build to use sealed windows, so they fail as well).

Have a great day and good luck!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
kennedto100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kennedto100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 12:27pm
Any idea if I can replace this with a black flat piece of plexiglass?

Looks  like it is held in by two aluminum frame (one on inside and one on outside ) screwed together together.

I can recall if this was a flat piece of glass.

Tom
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 4:05pm
Hmmm, always good to think of different solutions. The front of the rpods are curved of course. I am pretty sure our front window is curved so I don't think a flat piece would flex enough.

Have you considered possibly using a cut to size sheet of aluminum to fill it in? You would need to provide a supporting framework inside to attach the sheet to and then sealing it around the edge from the outside.

I think the sheet of aluminum would flex to allow the curve...you would essentially be replacing the original skin piece that was removed to allow a window to be installed on the front. If my window ever fails, this is one of the directions I would consider and eliminate the window completely.

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 12:24pm
If the window shattered into small fragments it means it was tempered glass. Tempered glass will always break that way because it is under tension from the glass factory.Thats what makes it strong but it also makes it prone to breakage from small rock chips. It's quite common for tempered glass to get hit by rocks and not break until later when the crack from the chip has had time to progress and realease the tension

Polycarbonate (Lexan) would be a good choice as an alternative material. If is next to impossible to break polycarbonate, you can only scratch it. OTOG it does scratch much easier that glass. You would have to fit it in the frame which might be difficult, it could be that polycarbonate the same thickness as the glass was will be too thin and flexible. The other approach would be to protect the glass with something during travel. Anything that will keep rock chips away would work. It might be interesting to glue strong magnets to the inside of the window and hold a cover on that way.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 7:18pm
I'm not sure magnets on the inside would be strong enough to old a cover against the air movement while towing. Some form of mechanical hold-down for a cover would be much better. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 5:38am
Mechanical hold downs require more holes in the trailer, and in an area subject to driving rain/wind.

If the front glazing is single pane modern rare earth magnets will hold through it well. They are incredibly strong, likely you will have more trouble removing the protective sheet then keeping it on.

Magnetic force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance so if it's an insulated glass panel then the attractive force will probably be too weak for magnets to work.

In that case or if you don't the idea of using magnets consider adhering attachment points to the glass using epoxy.

Also, the protective sheet doesn't need to be rigid. It's purpose is to protect the glass from rock chips, not breaking impacts. So some type of flexible padding could work and that wouldn't be as prone to being blown off as a rigid glass sheet. It could also be folded up and stowed easily at camp.

Here's another idea if you're ok with attaching through the trailer skin. Mount a solar module on a piano hinge above the window. Latch it down while towing, tip it up on a couple struts at camp to provide energy and shade. Solar modules are made from tempered glass too so will also break from rock chips, but they stay in one piece when they break because the solar cell encapsulants are flexible materials. Also you could just attach a travel cover over the solar module with bungees.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
kennedto100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kennedto100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 9:57am
Does anyone know how these windows are attached. The windows is in front of the rubber gasket. It almost look like it is glued on. If you have removed one, please let me know.

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>