R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rpod 2020 192 windshield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kennedto100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 2020 192 windshield
    Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 10:54am
I have been waiting 2 months on this.
I asked local dealer to order it, but FR would not work with him.

Found dealer in Seattle that ordered it and would ship to me in Texas.
That was a month ago. Every week I ask for the order status and that can’t seem to get it from FR.

Any suggestions on how I can contact FR for this, there website says
See dealer for parts.

Very frustrating .

Tom
raschurt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote raschurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm
I also had the front windshield shatter on our Rpod 195. It has been a nightmare, can't get Rpod on the phone. I got one call and now nothing but leave a message. We are from South Dakota and are in Oregon, trailer repair place said it could take months to get the windshield because they have trouble getting through to Forest River. This has been a nightmare. Couldn't find a rock in the trailer so have no idea why the windshield shattered. We have it taped with waterproof Gorilla tape and multiple layers of house wrap trying to keep out water. I can't drive this back to South Dakota so I'm hunting a place to store the trailer until we can get the window. So disappointed in Forest River assistance, last product from them.
Rich S
raschurt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote raschurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:27pm
I finally got the number for Susan Thornburg at Rpod: start leaving multiple messages and maybe that will help us   (574) 535-2538  or (574) 642-1612. I have left 6 messages. FR needs to have a better plan.
Rich S
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:27pm
Tempered glass will shatter if it's surface is struck and scratched by a rock or other hard object. The rock doesn't need to penetrate through the glass and the glass can even shatter later from an earlier scratch.

This is because tempered glass has a thin layer that is in compression on it's surface while the interior of the glass is in tension. The two lavers balance each other. It is the compression on the surface that is squeezing the glass together making it strong. Once a scratch is formed cutting through the surface compression layer it releases all the internal tension and you get thousands of little pieces. This usually will happen right away but not always, it could take a little time for the scratch to work it's way down to the tension layer.

Bottom line is tempered glass is a great material for things like sliding doors but a terrible material for windshieldd which are subject to strikes by sharp objects. You never see car windshields made of tempered glass for that reason.

If you get another tempered glass sheet for the front window of your rpod it will break again next time it gets a rock hitting it unless you cover it with something to protect it. Or you can get a sheet of polycarbonate (Plexiglas), cut that to size, and replace the existing window with that. Much better in the long run, nothing will break that stuff.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:40pm
I am so glad we searched out an early version of the 2020 195 without a window in the front. I'm not sure how the window above the bed is a good idea in the first place. Guess this is off topic, but there are some newer Rpods without the window.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 5:55am
A better option for replacement of the tempered glass might be "safety glass" that they use for windshields.  It's the kind that has two sheets of untempered glass laminated with a sticky glue between the two sheets.  I've purchased it before when I had to replace a window that my son sent his skateboard through that was located next to a door.  It would probably stand up to the rocks and other road debris a little better than tempered glass.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 10:10am
Safety glass for sure would stand up much better. Standard annealed glass doesn't break into small pieces and the PVB polymer adhesive holds everything together.

The problem is that it's much thicker and heavier overall, around 1/4 to 3/8 inch vs 1/8 for normal tempered glass because of the 2 sheets. Polycarbonate or acrylic are about 1/8 so will fit in the rubber seal and much lighter and you can easily cut them to the size you want. They can scratch but if you clean them properly they stay clear for a very long time, and they are hard to break.

cleaning acrylic
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
raschurt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote raschurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the suggestion. Any ideas for how to get Rpod to answer their phone? :-)

Rich S
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 8:38am
Sorry to hear of the troubles folks are having on the front windows. Mine has not broken yet, but it has been replaced twice due to the inner seal between the two glass panes leaking and then the window fogs up. I guess this front window is a sealed double pane window? 

With the breakage in mind, would a security film installed to the inside and outside of the window help with reducing the chance of this happening? And then possibly keeping the glass fragments in one place if it did happen?  

Thanks.
2021 R-pod 196
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:15am
Security film couldn't hurt and might help. A cover for use while traveling might help more.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>