This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New member. Ceiling repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougphurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member. Ceiling repair
    Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 8:23am
Hello. I have 2019 Rpod 190. This my first big trip from Massachusetts to Florida. I had a leak that was fixed and had a couple of minor hardware issues that have been fixed. I would like to replace a damaged ceiling panel cause by the roof leak. My wife and I downsized to this from an older 5th wheel camper. We are getting used to the smaller space. The storage space has been surprisingly adequate. After I purchased this camper, I became aware that that there were other floor plans that would fit us better. My main complaint is that the bed configuration requires one partner crawling over the other to give in and out of bed. Otherwise we love the camper
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 1:13pm
That is a common complaint with the sleeping layout.  We have had our 177 for eleven years and fortunately we are still young enough to where this is not an issue.  Going from a pop-up it was a jump to luxury.  No more canvas and the eventual smell that goes along with it as it ages, as we usually boondock and camp in the shoulder seasons where weather is inclement or cold it is so nice to have a furnace, hot and cold running water, a toilet, a shower, fridge, cook stove and an area to where you feel cozy and not be the recipient of drafts and the like.   We have been blessed.

Because we are usually in a location where there is no electric we special ordered our R-Pod without A/C, microwave/convection oven, or entertainment system.  Eleven years later - no regrets.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:49pm
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase and for being able to fix your issues. We started with a 179 Rpod after selling our 30+ ft travel trailer. The DW didn't like the crawling over either so we now have the 195. Have fun!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 4:04pm
Your trailer is still new enough that you may be able to order either a vinyl clad panel or a roll of vinyl that matches the existing ceiling.  The problem with the panels clad with vinyl is they're very expensive.  I looked into the purchase of a small piece to put along side our stove so the "wood" that encloses the refrigerator wouldn't get greasy.  I ended up using an old scrap of hardboard coated with melamine instead because that 2'x2' piece was so expensive.  I did buy some seam tape that matched, getting both 1' and 6" for some other patch work. To get the matching vinyl, you will need the vin number and will have to buy it through an FR dealer since FR says they won't sell directly to owners any more.  [I sure wish they'd rethink that policy.]  It's always nice to have some matching seam tape in case you have to repair a wall or door trim.

To replace the ceiling panel,  you will need both the panel [or vinyl covering if you're going to make up your own panel] and enough seam tape to cover the seams.  The panels are generally stapled to the ceiling framing so it's not hard to remove and replace it with a new piece.  It might be a good idea to heat up the seam tape that goes around the panel you need to remove with a hair dryer, so it can be pulled off without damaging the remaining panels.

Good luck with your project.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Dougphurd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougphurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 7:07am
How does the seam get removed and attached as well as the inside corner vinyl. I I’ll also have remove the box that holds the Furrion system and slide out switch. Parry of the damaged ceiling panel goes above the bath partition wall
 Post Reply Post Reply