R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New mattress

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote danthefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New mattress
    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 10:16am
Is there a preferred brand of 8" memory foam mattress you'd recommend?  It needs to be able to fold as we just purchased the 192 (Murphy bed)
Thanks, Dan
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:18pm
Normally I see the name Zinus mentioned on any r.v. sites. I think its the most popular brand in the 3 or 4 r.v.ing sites i subscribe too.  I would think anything "memory foam" would fold, as normally they come rolled up into a bag 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 1:55pm
For a Murphy bed though, I would think 6" would be about the limit for being able to fold. We purchased a short queen Zinus 10" mattress. That was nearly impossible to fold once it was expanded in addition to it being quite heavy. We changed to a Zinus 6" mattress, but it failed to fully expand, so it was refunded and we purchased a 6" DreamFoam mattress that we are using now. It is easy to fold up to get to the water heater, pump, storage, etc. while still being comfortable. For us, it is the sweet spot of comfort and weight that works for us. An 8" mattress might also have worked, but I'm not going to spend the money to find out.

As it is, the 6" DreamFoam does not seem to be available on Amazon currently, but there are other brands. Read the descriptions and ratings to help you decide which might be suitable for you. I understand the 192 uses a full queen sized mattress, so that might make your search easier.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 5:02pm
I had an 8 inch Zinus mattress in my 179 and it was very comfortable. I would not have wanted to go any thinner.

However I don't think an 8 inch mattress will fold well enough for a Murphy bed, it's pretty stiff. You might want to go with a 6 inch and if it's not comfortable enough get a 2 inch topper for it. By splitting it up it should be significantly easier to fold.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 1:29pm
Public Service Announcement:

If you own or plan to buy a Zinus memory foam mattress, you should know that all their beds do have fiberglass. Therefore, never open the cover of a Zinus mattress. 

https://www.sleepaim.com/zinus-mattress-fiberglass/
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 11:37am
I generally detest memory foam.  I hate struggling to roll uphill to change positions.  A salesman once told me if I bought his, I'd wake up in the morning in the same position I went to sleep in.  Later I realized it would be because I wouldn't be able to move.  Yes, I slept on Tempurpedic beds several nights. 

Are there other non/minimal-foam alternatives? 

John
'16 R-Pod 180
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:05pm
+1  also do not like being "locked" in a position while in bed.  We purchased an 8" Eurotop mattress for our 177 back in June 2011.  Here we are going on 11 years (yes we use it a lot) and that mattress is still just as firm and comfortable as the day we got it.  It wasn't cheap, but well worth it; my back is also quite happy!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
rwmont View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rwmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:27pm
We also purchased a new 192. Found a company near us in Toronto that makes foam mattresses. They made us replacements for the 2 sections of the 192 mattress so that they fit right into the original case. Nice thing is that because they are a manufacturer they have every density of mattress foam available. So we chose a 4" thick base and a 2" thick top. Comes assembled as a mattress. We had them supply mattress covers but in hindsight that was unnecessary since they are the same size.
Rob
Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply