This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bathroom Fan Vent Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom & Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bathroom Fan Vent Cover
    Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 9:20am
Hello All,

We recently bought a new Rpod 196 and were surprised that it didn’t come with a roof vent cover shroud commonly placed on most campers. (The dealer told us this was an add-on accessory…and quite pricey.)

So our question is: Just how necessary is this? In our walk-through, it was suggested that as long as we close the fan cover and lock it, there shouldn’t be a problem. However, we see these covers are every rv we see.

Any thoughts appreciated.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 9:47am
It is not strictly necessary, but it is a nice to have item. It allows one to keep the vent open if it is raining. None of the RPods come with them. Yes, they are quite pricey, but I thought it worthwhile to have, so I got one. I originally got one for the Fantastic Fan that our 2016 RPod came with. When it went to the factory for repair, it came back with a MaxxAir Fan, which meant that the cover would not fit. That is, until I cut notches with a Dremel tool so it would fit over the lugs. I did not want to spend money to buy another cover.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 9:59am
Agree with StephenH.  Not necessary and over the 11 years of owning our 177 we have run the FF and have had no issues with rain coming in unless it is a very hard rain.  The speed at which the fan runs when the rain is light is more than enough to keep the raindrops from entering inside.  For us, if it is raining hard, we simply don't run the fan.  The cost doesn't justify the few times we may need to use the fan when it is raining hard.  We have never had a leak issue even though we do not have the cover.  The important thing is to inspect the dicor around sealed areas, such as the FF, A/C, antenna, spoiler, and the 2" vent and re-seal when cracking is observed.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 2:26pm
Our previous SOB's came with vent fan covers. Neither of our Rpods came with one but we've installed them because we often open the vents without turning on the fan. There are times when we crack the vent while traveling down the road and thru inclement weather; the cover provides a level protection in those cases.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 3:17pm
I turn my fan on in April, and I shut it off in November. For me its a must. As far as pricey, compared to any other add on for a camper, that's the least pricey thing I can think of.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply