R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

furnace not lighting/co detector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: furnace not lighting/co detector
    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 8:00pm
Hi, we are having problems with the furnace on our new to us 2016 R182g.
Our first trip we turned it on to test it and it seemed to work fine, albeit with the ac fan blowing like mad. Thanks to the forum i learned how to turn that off.
2nd trip we ran it the 1st night and it seemed to work fine but it shut off at some point and did not come back on. The 2nd night it came on for a while but after it cycled off it did not come back on. The next morning it would come on for about 30 seconds and shut down. I suspect because it wasn't igniting.
that was 2 weeks ago. Today, I took off the face plate and outside screen and vacuumed it out. there was just a little dust and a few spider webs, not really dirty. Now the fan starts, then it clicks 5 times and shuts off. I tried with the stove lit to verify the gas was flowing, same result. I'd welcome any ideas!

I was about to post the above when my spouse noticed the CO detector was going off (several hours after the above). I pulled the fuse to silence it. Could this be related? The CO detector has never alarmed before, and I have windows open. Maybe it is just at its end of life?
2016 Rpod 182g
2022 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4
texastreehugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:32pm
I was able to find a manual with troubleshooting info from bryant rv. Now i know what the sail switch is! We'll see how that goes!
2016 Rpod 182g
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:25pm
The CO/LP detector is likely near the end of life. If I recall correctly, the red and green LED lights will blink alternating if that is the case and it will beep every few minutes. It does not have a fuse. It is hard-wired since it is a safety device. If it does have a fuse, then someone modified the wiring. 

If it alarmed, and not just beeping, then it might be indicating a problem. If you were working on the furnace and did anything to the gas supply line, it might have detected the LP. Alternately, if it was running, but burning incompletely and generating CO, some might have gotten in and set it off. It would be prudent to figure out why it sounded, not just disconnect it (unless it is at end of life and you have a replacement to install).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:54am
Thanks, it was only beeping every 5 or 10 sec. I shot it with compressed air thinking it might have some dust or debris, at that point it alarmed. Definitely will replace before using the camper!
2016 Rpod 182g
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 2:21pm
If it is surface mount, I recommend replacing it with a flush mount model. It is more out of the way of foot traffic and looks better. It does cost a bit more though. This is the one I used:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:31pm
a flush mount would be nice! Thanks for the tip and link! I put the fuse back in this am and no beeping so far. I will definitely get a new one before the next outing. Didn't have time to get much further on fhe furnace, but I located the sail switch; it looks like there is good Airflow, it moves the switch but the fan shuts off immediately.
2016 Rpod 182g
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:04pm
Not to be a wise-acre, but have you checked your propane tank to see if it's empty?

Mine will click (spark) about 5 times and quit if it has no gas or there is air in the line. I can light and burn a stove eye for a few seconds to vent and air.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 7:53am
Look with a small flashlight.  Wasp nests happen in the weirdest places.  I found one behind the plastic screen of the refrigerator - the one you never take off - that was at least a foot across.  And they do screw up the gas flow if they are in the chimney. Or back inside where the pilot light is.

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 10:26pm
I definitely have propane. (Being a newbie I took the tank to get it topped off before our first outing, it turned out to be full!)   I have been running the stove as that worked to get the fridge to light (learned that trick on this forum). I've vacuumed and blown out all the webs and debris I could see without taking the unit out. I started to take off the outside plate to see if there's obstruction there, but it seems like it is getting good flow, it sends the sail switch, then shuts off. I also didn't want to have to reseal it unless I had to. I will see if I have time to try the troubleshooting info I found, but I have a service call scheduled as I'm needing it solved for an upcoming trip.
2016 Rpod 182g
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:53am
Sometimes, that is the best option. I hoe you get it resolved without too much wasted time and expense.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>