R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

did i fry my pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: did i fry my pump?
    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:50pm
as i was dewinterizing my 2016 rpod 180 for the first time today, i followed instructions from print and youtube. when it came time to drain the bleach water out of my tank, i opened the kitchen faucets and the fresh water tank drain. nothing came out so i read again and it said to run my pump. this i did for about 5 minutes. the water was coming out as it should. then the noise of the pump changed and got very quiet, the light on the panel dimmed,  but water continued to flow out of the drain for another 5 minutes. i turned the pump off, refilled the tank and when i turned on the kitchen faucets to run the clean water through the system, the pump has that same quiet pathetic sound and the light on the panel is a dull glow. some water comes out through the faucets, but not much. i dont think i sucked it dry cause there was always water running out though the tank drain????

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 4:27am
Quite sure your pump is ok, they are produced to be able to pump 'dry' although that is not the intention of the pump.  Most likely culprit is the screen at the faucet is plugged with crud that could have come from the HW anode rod as it breaks down over time due to various water conditions over time or some debris that was in the FW tank that finally got sucked up into the system as the pump was running. 

Unscrew the cap at the end of your faucet and clean the screen.  You should be good to go.  If that doesn't take care of the problem there is also a plastic bowl with a screen on the water pump.  Unscrew that as well (counter-clockwise) and flush the screen.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 5:21am
+1 to Jato's recommendations. Also be sure your battery is charged, the pump operates on 12V so if you discharge the battery running the pump it could behave as you are describing.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 7:32am
When you take the anode out of the HW tank, you will be amazed at the crud that comes out with it.  It is ok for it to look rather ratty with pieces missing.  When the wire starts to show a lot it is time to replace it.  My water source is well water and we have a lot of Calcium in the ground water.  You will need a 1/1/8" socket.
Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:18am
in the dewinterizing procedure the only thing i couldnt do was remove the plug with the anode in it. i have the proper tools, but it was on too tight so i will leave it for a professional to break...

Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:24am
im super glad to hear that i couldnt fry the pump by running it dry...
things like no power or a clogged sink faucet would of just been too easy. but as i thought about it, i have a theory....
i think i have about 1/3 of my tank below the pump intake. im not sure the layout and if it is physically possible, but thats what the symptoms indicate. when i was draining the tank, at about 1/3 is when the pump sound changed. and when i refilled the tank, i only filled it about 1/3 and the pump is functioning properly.
so as soon as it warms up a bit ill try putting more water in.
if this is the case, i need to remedy it cause i dont want to pull my trailer with the weight of unusable water...
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:16am
I would check the screen first, only takes a minute to unscrew and check.  Although it is possible, but not too likely, you may have the pickup hose in the FW tank that has pulled out a bit or was incorrectly installed in the first place.  A bit more involved but not impossible to pick up some slack and insert more of the hose so that it will draw all the water out of the FW tank.
God's pod
'11 model 177
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:20am
[QUOTE=Shoes]in the dewinterizing procedure the only thing i couldn't do was remove the plug with the anode in it. i have the proper tools, but it was on too tight so i will leave it for a professional to break...

Get a can of PB blaster or any other kind of penetrant, soak the exposed threads and let it sit for a day.  Shouldn't be a problem to remove the anode with your 1 1/16" socket with 6" extension on a 1/2" drive ratchet.
God's pod
'11 model 177
Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 3:39pm
Screen was real clean. It pumped like a champ once I put more water in it...no more sucking air or ugly sounding pp. So.... when I get somewhere suitable, I'll try readjusting the intake hose. Any more info appreciated
Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 3:40pm
Will try this too, when I get to a good location. Thanks for the tip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>