R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Boondocking Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boondocking Prep
    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:47pm
Here is a comparison, I have Honda 2000i eco mode 48 db full throttle 57 db that means your geny is 8 times louder the my Honda 
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by marwayne

Here is a comparison, I have Honda 2000i eco mode 48 db full throttle 57 db that means your geny is 8 times louder the my Honda 

Loudness doubles at an increase of 10db, so 48->57db is less than double, about 1.86x.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 11:29pm
Sorry my mistake, I didn't have reading glasses on and read 1.0
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 5:53am
Yeah, OSHA does not require grounding on mobile systems. If you did actually ground it you'd then have to follow the NEC which would require two rods embedded 8 ft rods spaced at least 6 feet apart. Good luck pulling those when you want to break camp.

I'd still suggest you consider getting two 6V golf cart batteries if you can stand the tongue weight. Having the flexibility to go a longer time between generator charge intervals is very helpful and it also allows you to reduce the depth of your battery cycles which I creases battery longevity. As for,Li batteries consider doing that upgrade after you see how things work for you with lead acid batteries first, that way you'll have a better idea what you really need long term.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 6:00am
Re: Tars Tarkas

I AM asking questions, and making informed choices...my truck bed has a molded 1/2" thick rubber mat - you think I'd just toss it in & let it rattle around while running?

About ready to ditch this site based on "I know better than you" comments like this, as opposed to honest insight and suggestions, which MANY have given...
2021 R-Pod 171
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6
Just me & my pooch Mr. Buster...
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 6:04am
Re: offgrid

Thank you...will add your input to my final analysis and implemetation.

DB
2021 R-Pod 171
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6
Just me & my pooch Mr. Buster...
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 11:44am
The purpose of a bonding plug is to connect the receptacle neutral and ground pins together at the generator when it is connected to an electrical system without an earth ground

Many generator manufacturers don't do that internally because there can be only one point of common connection for the system. They don't know whether you are connecting the Genny into an existing grounded system or using it for a mobile application.

If there is no connection between neutral and ground the circuit analyser interprets that as an a
open ground condition and won't connect. A bonding plug remedies that. It also allows the gfci's in your trailer to function normally.

Hope that helps.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by poston

Originally posted by marwayne

Loudness doubles at an increase of 10db, so 48->57db is less than double, about 1.86x.

In the RF world, 3db is double (or half depending on which way you're going). 48db -> 57db is almost 10X.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 5:40pm
You're both right. The sound pressure level increases 10x with a 10 dbA increase. That is perceived as about a 2x increase in noise level. Put another way our perception of sound level is non linear.

I can say that I perceive my Honda 2k, supposedly one of the quieter gensets out there, as really quite
lowd and irritating at or near full load. At low load where it's running at low rpm, it seems pretty quiet.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by DaveB1701

Re: Tars Tarkas

I AM asking questions, and making informed choices...my truck bed has a molded 1/2" thick rubber mat - you think I'd just toss it in & let it rattle around while running?

About ready to ditch this site based on "I know better than you" comments like this, as opposed to honest insight and suggestions, which MANY have given...

I just looked back in the thread and you have asked a few questions, but mostly you just announce what you're doing or going to do.  And you come across as kind of a newbie, so I didn't, and still don't know how you plan to keep your generator in place while you're driving down the road.  If you're happy with with whatever your plan is, great. 

And if there's no one within miles I guess it's only your problem how loud the generator is, and if you already have it, that's one thing, but if it's what you're planning on buying, it's more power than you need for everything in your Pod, so it's more weight than you need to fool with.  If you're buying a new genny, I'm pretty sure you'd be happier spending money on lower noise than more watts and weight.

Also, you didn't seem to know about a bonding plug, which is a bit esoteric  Your surge protector may not work with your generator without one.  (Arguably, you don't need it with your generator, but it could take a while to figure that out.)

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>