R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Boondocking Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boondocking Prep
    Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:41pm
I have used a Renogy 100 watt suitcase system for about 4 years.  It has been totally satisfactory in terms of construction and function. I can easily recommend the suitcase system  and I would buy again if necessary. I have 2 6volt golf cart batteries and the solar panels keep them fully charged on most days and certainly usable every day. 
I think the portable panels are the best option because of the abilities to park in the shade and also to adjust the panels for max solar input.
a simple charge controller is easy to add in the pod or can be attached directly to the panels.
I agree that a high wattage inverter is largely an unnecessary expense and not essential.  I use a small 400 watt inverter that powers all of our mobile charging devices, camera batteries, laptops, etc. A large inverter delivering large wattage will draw down the batteries much faster than you can recover.
I also agree that if you must have high wattage appliances, the only realistic answer is a generator. I have a Honda EU 2200 and it definitely runs the AC with the Microaire soft start. It will also run m/w or hair dryer or other high wattage appliances.
Just my experiences and opinions
Safe Travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:54am
If you generally camp under trees don't do a roof mount solar array. Shading even a small number of cells in a solar module takes it out of service. If you generally camp in the open then fine, but be sure the array is kept clear of dirt and debris.

The lowest cost way to have a 200 plus watt solar array is to buy either a residential solar module (about 39x65 inches, 40 lbs, and 280 ish watts) or an industrial module (about 38x77 inches, 50 lbs and 350 ish watts). These are readily available as project leftovers (try Craigslist) for around 50 cents a watt or less. Do not buy the so called "flexible" modules, glass and aluminum frame modules are much more reliable and long lived.

Then, get a 20 amp MPPT charge controller. Look on Amazon and get one thats getting good reviews. Mount that near your batteries. You will also need a couple MC4 connectors and 10 gauge cabling of the length you want to be able to place your solar module in the sun near your camping area, 50 ft is usually good.

Add a 30A fuse at the + battery post and use 10 gauge wire between your batteries and the controller.

Make a couple folding back legs out if some aluminum angle so you can set the module on the ground (in landscape so it won't tip over) and swing the back legs out to adjust the tilt angle so the module is facing the sun. Just swing the legs back in to stow the module.

Re batteries, the most cost effective solution for most folks is two 200-ish amp hour 6V flooded golf cart batteries, case size GC2. The AGM batteries don't provide enough benefit to be worth the additional cost. The very best solution is lithium batteries if you plan on keeping your rpod a long time and/or need more than about 100 amphours capacity (you should not take out more than around 50% capacity of lead acid batteries). But you will need to change out charge control systems (shore power and TV as well as solar) to use those.

Re inverters, be realistic about how big an inverter you get. Energy = power x time, or power = energy/time. You can only store around 1.2 kwh of usable energy in a dual lead acid battery system that fits on an rpod. 12V inverters are only around 80% efficient so that is another loss. So if you have a 1500 watt inverter running a 1500 watt AC load you will only get about 35-40 minutes of operation before your batteries need to be recharged, if there was nothing else at all in the trailer using electrical energy. And it will take a whole sunny day to recharge the battery after running that load for 35 minutes.   

In practice that means leave the hair dryer and electric coffee pot at home when boondocking, forget about running the air conditioner, and don't expect more than some popcorn popping in the micro.

Is it worth it to have a big inverter to pop some popcorn? Up to you but most folks bring along a generator to run the micro and the a/c. And dont forget that big inverters are less efficient than small ones running small loads.

Personally I don't bother with an inverter at all. Everything I need runs on 12V more efficiently (including a dual voltage TV and USB charge ports) and I kick on the Honda 2K if I want to microwave or run the a/c (not at the same time).

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 12:32pm
FWIW, re cost, a friend of mine just had a package similar to Dave's installed locally by professionals on a SOB. The total bill out the door was just under $2000. And I couldn't believe they put the monitor two and a half feet inside the pass thru where it is hard to see.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 1:57pm
Thanks for the advice & recommendations, folks!  I have everything on order to 'up' me Pod to two 20# propane tanks, but have decided to scrap the solar plan.  Male Pattern Baldness negates the need for a hairdryer, and I don't drink coffee...LOL

I have a dog bone adapter coming for my 4400W Dual Fuel generator, which has 65db noise @ 50% load.  For the times I'd need it for A/C, microwave, & battery charging, I figure it would only be used for a few hours per day.  Considering trip durations (typically 3 nights), and locations I plan for (US Forest Service sites in MI Upper Peninsula), should be good...if not, I'll learn fast. Ouch

Still considering a battery upgrade over stock...

2021 R-Pod 171
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6
Just me & my pooch Mr. Buster...
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 3:50pm
The problem with the larger generators is weight, be careful not to hurt your back with that 4.4 kw. The dual battery upgrade will let you wait longer between generator runs, which is important if the parks you will be using have quiet hours. Most do, and even if they don't, running a gen at night while folks are trying to sleep is bad campground etiquette. Be aware of the huge increase in tongue weight from the extra propane tank and battery upgrade, you will be up around 125 to 150 lbs higher with that combination.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:04pm
Dave, I just retired a nearly 11 year old battery.  It was a group size 24 deep cycle Interstate 12v.  Have another one just like it, it will get a birthday cake with 11 candles on it next April.  As for a replacement, last month I purchased a Trojan T-1275 (golf car battery) 12v, 150 Ah, and weighs in at 85 lbs. It is a great upgrade as it was needed the extra tongue weight (usually travel with a full FW tank which is behind the axle on the 177).  The 11% tongue weight needed on the 177 is 320 lbs.  With that on the tongue I can get rid of 3 truck rotors that were taking up valuable storage space in the front stow area - my wife is happy.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 12:10pm
Re: offgrid  - regarding generator:  it weighs 125 lbs., has a wheel/handle kit, & will be in my pickup bed for the duration of camp trips. I have a set of aluminum ramps and 2" X 8" X 10' sticks of lumber eyeballed for the load/unload solution @ home.  There is even a slick kit available that is essentially a generator umbrella, keeping the rain off it.  I've researched the USFS locations I would visit and they do have hours-of-use restrictions that I'm more than willing to abide by.  Champion Generators website has a power requirement estimator that indicated 3000 running watts and 4000 surge for 13,500 BTU A/C and microwave oven usage (I assume simultaneously, which I'll likely never do) - well within range of my 3,500/4,400 gens rating.  Those two items, and battery charging would be the gennies only duties...I'm looking at staying with a single battery, 100 to 150Ah, possibly AGM, or maybe a Lithium Iron Phosphate if not ridiculously priced.

Re:  jato - regarding batteries:  Purchased my Pod new in July - I have no idea what's inside the box as far an Ampere Hour rating, std auto or deep cycle, but I assume lead-acid.  It's in winter storage at the County Fairgrounds until April (indoor, unheated storage for 6 months for $200.00 TOTAL), and I have no access to it until then.  

Again, thanks guys!

DB
2021 R-Pod 171
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 6:45pm
You might need a bonding plug between the Genny and the circuit analyser. Many generators are ungrounded which will trip the analyser. Cheap and simple to make or buy if you do.find out you need it.

The a/c compressor has a very high startup surge current, requiring something in the range of 4kw momentarily. Most generators over around 3kw will start it fine. Many of us who prefer a smaller lighter generator have installed a device called an Easy start to allow a 2kw to start the a/c. You should be fine with your generator without it though.

The benefit of higher battery capacity for you would be less frequent generator starts, making it easier to just run the generator once a day at a convenient time for you and your neighbor campers. Of course, that depends on how much youre using your appliances and other devices.
l
If you look as the life cycle cost of AGM lead acid batteries vs Li the Li batteries are cheaper now, not counting the changes you need to make in your charging systems. AGMs are not as cost effective for what you get as good old flooded golf cart deep cycle batteries, which is my recommendation if youre not ready to jump into the Li battery world.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:42pm
I was a mechanic and electronics technician in the USAF for 20 years, but currently (no pun intended) learning a lot on the relationships of systems of this type.  I hit up OSHA's site on portable generator hookups and it reads as if I don't need a rod planted into the ground for the generator as long as it and the camper are connected with a 'common' to each other...

After looking around, it seems as if the LiFePo battery options are 100Ah or 200Ah, with nothing in between.  Weight will be taken into consideration as well as price, and I have 'till mid-April to research, analyze & decide.

The sites I plan on recreating in are quite dispersed, with significant forestation between sites, so I figure with that, a 65db rating on the gen, plus a bit of reduction in 'sideways' noise running it in the bed of my truck, and usage only during allowed hours when needed should keep the neighbors from getting grouchy. Cool

On a tangent, I purchased a EasyTouch RV Thermostat to replace the Dometic CT, which was already showing off its p*ss poor design after only three outings from new -- wall panel was flexing while cramming buttons hard enough to make a change in settings.
2021 R-Pod 171
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by DaveB1701

I was a mechanic and electronics technician in the USAF for 20 years, but currently (no pun intended) learning a lot on the relationships of systems of this type.  I hit up OSHA's site on portable generator hookups and it reads as if I don't need a rod planted into the ground for the generator as long as it and the camper are connected with a 'common' to each other...

I think you missed something.  Offgrid didn't say anything about a ground rod, he talked about a  bonding plug.  Very different thing.

Originally posted by DaveB1701

The sites I plan on recreating in are quite dispersed, with significant forestation between sites, so I figure with that, a 65db rating on the gen, plus a bit of reduction in 'sideways' noise running it in the bed of my truck, and usage only during allowed hours when needed should keep the neighbors from getting grouchy. Cool

Yeah, maybe.  65 db is loud, You probably won't enjoy being around it, even if no one else is.  Be sure the generator is strapped in securely, and maybe put it on a rubber pad for both friction and a little more sound control. 

With respect, you'd probably benefit from asking more questions and taking a little more time to make your choices

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>