R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ceiling unit cover removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ceiling unit cover removal
    Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:59pm
Does anyone know how to remove the plastic ceiling cover for the AC on the inside of an R-Pod? (photos are from our 2014 R-Pod 178)
Our latest camping trip we encountered a steady downpour for many ours, and at one point water started to drip from that plastic housing. I tried to gently tug on the plastic but it wouldn't release, and I didn't want to yank it off. Any suggestions on how to remove this without damage?

2014 R-Pod 178 aka the "Kobra Pod"
following a 2015 4Runner wherever it may wander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:16am
I don't have a picture showing the screw locations, but there are multiple screws holding it up on the inside. Look carefully with a flashlight, and you should see the screw heads. Check behind flaps around the perimeter and in the perforated area. They are not hard to remove once you find them. If I remember correctly, there are 8 screws that you need to remove. You may wish to use the advanced search and see if you can find the picture I mentioned. With the advanced search, you can search posts older than 6 months.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jenga Jack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:31am
Hello StephenH,
I found a previous post related to how to remove ceiling cover. The original post is titled "Air conditioner leaking when on" dated July 30, 2021. You replied to the post with a photo with screw locations. I will give it a try. Thanks for your help!
Jack
Harry & Lizanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry & Lizanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 12:58pm
I had the leaking problem once, nothing wrong on the inside unit, I took the cover of the unit on top and clean the unit with water and a air and found debris blocking the drain once I removed a leaf that was blocking the drain the leakage inside stop. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 1:59pm
Thank you both.
I took the inside cover off, couldn't see any sign of a leak (of course it isn't raining now) and snug tightened some bolts. Next I'll take outside cover off and check roof, caulking, and drain. I'll post my findings to this chain.
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 8:36pm
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:26am
Took cover off but couldn't find source of leak or drain holes. Not sure where drain holes are located or what they look like, nothing obvious, anyway. Perhaps a 2014 unit is different from newer models?

The drip was very slow, about 1 per 2 minutes, and only during heavy downpour. Hopefully tightening bolts is solution. I'll check again next rain storm.
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:30pm
Had the same problem with our 179 and finally tracked it down to loose bolts holding the back of the unit to the roof.  The seals were all good but water was leaking between the seal and the unit.  Once it was tightened down never had a problem with it.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 6:07am
Definitely make sure the bolts are tightened once you have the cover removed. Common problem.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:14am
Thank you one and all for your help and advice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>