R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

180 Twin Bed Mod Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavMar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 Twin Bed Mod Guidance
    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Suebee

So sorry, not tech savvy enough to get it posted, if you send me your e mail in a private message maybe you could get the video and upload it for us. 

PM sent
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Suebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Suebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm
So sorry, not tech savvy enough to get it posted, if you send me your e mail in a private message maybe you could get the video and upload it for us. 
Suebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Suebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Suebee

My husband took the bed and made 2 single beds, these worked great and we were both very pleased with them. We have a video of the finished beds but I can’t figure out how to upload it. Sorry. We love the 180 but did not like the bed either.

Subee, Thank you for your response and I sure wish there was a way you could post a video or detailed photos of how you husband constructed the two single beds in your Pod. You can post a movie file by first downloading your movie on the photo host of your choice and then when you reply or create a thread you can select the Insert Movie icon and then copy in the url of where you have stored this file. The same holds true with single images, download them to your photo host and then select Insert Image icon. Once this is accomplished you can then sect Preview Post to make sure you've done it right. It would be very helpful to me and I'm sure others here to just be able to see how, construction photos, that your husband may have taken when he did this mod on your pod.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Suebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Suebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:21pm
My husband took the bed and made 2 single beds, these worked great and we were both very pleased with them. We have a video of the finished beds but I can’t figure out how to upload it. Sorry. We love the 180 but did not like the bed either.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:05pm
Understood. You might want to consider your first option of selling the 180 and getting one of the 190 series with the walk around bed. Prices are high for used trailers this year so you might be ahead in the long run vs making a mod that reduces the marketability of the 180 going forward.

Many folks are ok with the "climbover" layout, myself and my wife included. Since she sleeps on a somewhat later schedule than I do I would take the inner position first and then we'd make one switch in the middle of the night, combined with a potty break. Worked out fine for us but it's certainly not for everyone.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 5:44pm
You make some valid points offgrid and yes your right about that only a few women are shorter then 5 feet. Even though my wife tends to sleep curled up and I said to her before I even try to make this mod she needs to make sure she is comfortable in a shorter bed. As for the dinette in my 180 that's not allot of length and not an option IMHO. I wish there was a way I didn't have to modify the bed but its getting to the point of either selling the Pod and finding a different camper or making some way I don't have to be an acrobat to get out or in bed without disturbing the wife.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 5:41am
A queen bed is only 5 ft wide, so that becomes the length of the shorter side. That is really short, only about 5% of adult American women are that short.

So even if that might work for you it won't work for the vast majority of potential future owners when your rpod ultimately is sold.

Why not just use the existing dinette instead? If making the dinette bed is a concern you can just use a sleeping bag with a sheet liner held with some Velcro which you can roll up in a few seconds during the day.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
Offgrid & TheBum thanks for the responses. I hoped that there was other threads here or elsewhere showing the mod I'm looking at doing but I guess I might just end up winging it with the little information and photos that fellow member voisj posted a few years ago. I think its doable in my 180 since my wife is much shorter then I am. So stayed tuned if I decide to make the plunge and do this mod.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 11:24am
Originally posted by offgrid

I looked into that for out 179 but there wasn't enough length available to make that work. 

It depends on how tall the shorter individual is and whether they normally sleep straight or with knees bent. 
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>