This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tennessee and the Tail of the Dragon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tennessee and the Tail of the Dragon
    Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:17am
We left the BRP and headed into Tennessee as others recommended. So glad we did! Great Smoky Mts and some of the curviest roads I've been on for such lengths. WOW is an understatement!

another attempt;
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:28pm
Having been over that road many times I would never pull a Pod through there!  Aside from the resentment of everyone behind you it is extremely dangerous to cross the center line which is going to happen unless maybe you're going along at walking speed.  It is a beautiful part of the world though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Having been over that road many times I would never pull a Pod through there!  Aside from the resentment of everyone behind you it is extremely dangerous to cross the center line which is going to happen unless maybe you're going along at walking speed.  It is a beautiful part of the world though.

TT
By law you can not! It's posted.. Now, leave your trailer at the CG and go enjoy.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

By law you can not! It's posted.. Now, leave your trailer at the CG and go enjoy.

Videos probably don't do it justice, but it just doesn't look that bad to me.  The regulatory signs say trucks with trailers over 30 ft long are prohibited.  

I've put it on our list, but we'll do it with the Pod in the campground.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:13am
Turns range from 1/4 wheel to 3/4 wheel and you will slow down to 15mph on many. Plenty of places to pull over and let others pass in needed. 

Stopat the Lodge/store on the south entrance and check out the displays they have! 

Tali of the Dragon is only one of many roads like this in rural mid-atlantic. We drove over a dozen such roads with 1/2 a dozen having names like this. 

Safe Travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by poston

[QUOTE=Olddawgsrule]
By law you can not! It's posted.. Now, leave your trailer at the CG and go enjoy./QUOTE]
Videos probably don't do it justice, but it just doesn't look that bad to me.  The regulatory signs say trucks with trailers over 30 ft long are prohibited.  
I've put it on our list, but we'll do it with the Pod in the campground.

I agree. Looks fine. I've been on lots of worse looking roads in Appalachia, towing and not towing. You get used to it living up here.

The worst thing is some folks see a trailer in tow and for some reason feel they desperately have to be in front of it immediately. But you can't be responsible for other people's mental issues.

The good news is these are the same folks that are always late for whatever so they also tend to be late risers. So if you're concerned about holding folks up just get your windy mountain road drive done in the early morning and enjoy the rest of the day at your destination.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The worst thing is some folks see a trailer in tow and for some reason feel they desperately have to be in front of it immediately. ... The good news is these are the same folks that are always late for whatever so they also tend to be late risers. So if you're concerned about holding folks up just get your windy mountain road drive done in the early morning and enjoy the rest of the day at your destination.

Haha, that's so true ...  Must.  Pass.  The trailer!

The early morning avoidance maneuver is exactly our approach.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply