R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bike racks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dmcglannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike racks
    Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 9:58am
We have an R-Pod 179 and would like to be able to bring our bikes.  Have others figured out how to put on bike racks?

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 1:40pm
We had a 179 and used a Jack it bike rack that went behind the tongue Jack on the front.   Arrived two bikes
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
KirkH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KirkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 7:16pm
It also depends on the weight of your bikes. We have 2 cruiser bikes that are way too heavy to ride anywhere but the truck bed. We have 2 carbon fiber mountain bikes that are light enough to ride on a rack on the camper, but I would never do it, personally. If they fell off, you wouldnt know.  Also we had the wheels stolen off a bike on the back of the camper once while sleeping in the walmart parking lot in Georgia.

We ride the carbon bikes on a roof rack, and the cruiser bikes in the bed.
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:29pm
I was using a bike rack that went on the back of my 178 in the spare tire receiver but I stopped doing that for two reasons: 
1. I was never comfortable not knowing if they were still there while cruising down the highway (I  know of someone who was going across the country's interstates with their trailer and when they pulled off for gas they noticed the bikes and bike rack were gone!  Hopefully the contraption slid off the road after it fell off)
2. it messed with the weight distribution and caught a fair bit of air... the trailer handled better when I took the bikes off.
We now lay the bikes on the front diner area, but that's not ideal.

Does anyone have a particular make / model of a bike rack that holds the bikes above the tongue jack that they can recommend?  
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 4:26pm
My neighbor has this one and it seems to work fine.  https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Bike-Racks/Lippert/LC731138.html

Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:26pm
I was never comfortable with a rack on the back of our 179.  Used one a few times but got a chance to see it swaying up and down one time on a turn and did not do that again.  We ended up buying two folding bikes from Columbra (26", ~ 35 lbs each) that sit behind the drivers seat of our truck with the 3/4 side of the back seat pulled up. Not great bikes but good ones.  Have used them several times and very glad not to have to worry about them hanging off the trailer, the A-frame or the front of the truck. For us, a very good alternative.
Happy cycling!
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
 Post Reply Post Reply