R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedparasitic draws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: parasitic draws
    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 1:03pm
I was considering how to limit and save my batteries when not in use on site.  Sometimes i am not in a position to provide charge to battery, so want to limit residual and parasitic draws.  I have a battery disconnect.  They only thing i'd like to continue to run, if say I leave campsite for 6 hours, is that the fridge is still cold.  If i battery disconnect OFF while still running fridge on propane, will the fridge continue to churn if i disconnected from power?  Does the fridge need power the entire time to stay functioning?
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 1:53pm
Yes, the motherboard needs the 12v to function.  By disconnecting the battery the motherboard turns off which will not allow the ignitor the ability to turn propane on if it calls for it. 

Don't worry about a few parasitic draws, they are minimal at best and as long as your battery is in decent condition you don't have to worry about a dead battery after only 4 hours. 

We don't disconnect our ground cable off the battery (no battery disconnect) unless it is not being used for 5 days or more.  Even then with a fully charged battery 'at rest' you should read 12.72v or better and after 4 days our battery will read 12.61 to 12.64v (we have a pair of 12 v).  Just don't run it below 60% S.O.C. or 12.2v for maximum longevity.  We more often then not boondock and our batteries give us great service even though they are well over 10 years old.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply