R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Low Profile Stabilization Jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Profile Stabilization Jacks
    Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:19pm
I have a 192 and made and installed a 3" lift between the axle and frame.  How did you do your 193?
Made a lot nicer trailer. The lighter pod axles have a different bolt pattern.  I had to scheme my own pattern for the 192 pod.  Doesn't hit bottom on the front or the back. The only other issue I'm currently working on is pocket door has some security issues that need to be worked out.
Steve
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:26pm
I have a 2021 R-pod 192 and found the trailer set to close to the ground and on some situations the back end would come in contact with the ground.  I had a set of 3" lifts fabricated at a local steel fab shop with 3/16" using flat steel plate bent into a "U" channel and the bolt pattern is 9" on center.  The other pods 180 ect. have a different bolt pattern.  Looking at Lippert's web sight and considering the axle has 12" drums with 6 X 5.5" bolt pattern they should be 6,000 lbs.  Tomorrow I will look at the axle for the weight limit and s/n.  The factory bolts were grade 1 or 3 couldn't identify.  I used grade 8 bolts with fiber lock nuts.  Could not tell any difference way the trailer handed, but made a big difference on ground clearance.  And yes, when the lift is installed the warranty is voided on the axle.
Keep a heavy duty wrench with you and if any issue come up with the axle take the lifts off.  There is no modifying any thing to install them. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:53am
When I looked into this for my 179 I found that FR and Lippert set the axle rating lower than the max Lippert has established for that style axle because of how it is mounted and the strength of the frame at that point. IOW Lipperts number is for the best possible mounting configuration, the axles get derated from there. The part number is a specific build for FR and stamped with a rating Lippert and FR gave it for that specific trailer configuration. I expect your find the same applies for your axle.

Adding risers does reduce the overall axle load capacity even if you use the same mounting points. This is because it adds additional frame stress. When you hit a pot hole the axle is rotated rearward and upward. That puts a torque (moment) on the trailer frame at the mounting points. The longer the arm over which that force is applied the higher the moments are on the frame, so a lift kit increases them. That might or might not cause a problem in your case but it is a legitimate reason for FR to disallow a warranty claim if it happens.

For that reason anyone adding a lift kit without FRs approval does so at their own risk, and needs to understand that there is risk due to increased frame stress in doing so. I hope you weren't suggesting removing the lift kit if you have a problem and then failing to inform FR when making a warranty claim.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 10:19am
Thank you for the information on the additional frame stress.  My opinion is the activation's of the brakes cause a direct twisting action through the axle to the frame-there for the grade 8 bolts.  Hitting a pot-hole and such the bushings on the swing arm absorb most of the shock.  The bushings there-for will the degrading concern.  I'm sure the bushings will last beyond Lippert's warranty period.
The gross weight of the trailer, DW plus payload =4900 lbs app.  With the 5500 to 6000 lbs max axle
capacity, there is some flexibility.  And I'm sure no-one overloads their trailer?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:31pm
All the torque (moment) from hitting a curb or pothole ultimately has to go somewhere and that is the frame. That moment is much higher than the brake loading. The weak link isn't the bolts it's the frame itself. The frame is as light as FR can get by with and there has been at least one frame bending failure at that point reported on the forum.

The best way to lift the trailer is to weld or bolt (with a coupe of gusset plates)k a tube section under the existing frame. That should be at least a couple feet long as that will move the forces outward from the axle attach point thereby increasing the moment arm, putting less stress on the frame in order for it to be able to resist the same moment.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The best way to lift the trailer is to weld or bolt (with a coupe of gusset plates)k a tube section under the existing frame. That should be at least a couple feet long as that will move the forces outward from the axle attach point thereby increasing the moment arm, putting less stress on the frame in order for it to be able to resist the same moment.

Would you recommend doing this on the shorter 170 series like what I have?  With the shorter length maybe the stress would be less when potholes or the like are hit?  Empty (which doesn't mean much weight is 2415, fully loaded with a full FW tank gets us up to 2940 (had it weighed at our county garage).
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:18am
Jato, unless you plan to change the kind of roads your towing on I'd say you don't need to change what you have currently. If you were going to bend your frame you would probably already have done so. Also, as you point out, the 177 is a light trailer. The reported frame bending was in a heavier rpod. Roughly speaking, I got a little under 2x as the safety factor for a 179 loaded to gross weight of about 3800 lbs so with a 2900 lb 177 that would be round 2.6 safety factor, should be enough if you don't make it a habit of hitting curbs and pot holes.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kahonu37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:09am
Offgrid 

I’m planning to put the Lippert Riser kit on my 2018 179 RPOD. I have a couple of questions 

1. Any photos of the Gussets?

2. Where did you place the jack stand when supporting the frame when you dropped the axel? The instructions from Lippert state to call the manufacturer for suggestions.

Which I did, and their response was to to take it to a dealership. Every issue that I had while the RPOD was under warranty came back wors than when I took it in. I had to do the repairs myself. Needless to say I am not confident with dealer work on an job such as this. They couldn’t repair a dump valve leak, l have them give me a new one and successfully did it myself.

Your input would be greatly appreciated
2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 7:14am
I didn't do the frame reinforcement mod in my trailer b4 I sold it. If you do a search back a few years I did a rough analysis of the bending moments for the 179 and came up with a length and placement for a 4x2 inch tube "doubler" under the existing 4x2 tube frame. That would replace the riser kit. IIRC the doubler tubes needed to extend farther to the rear than to the front of the axle attach point. The moment falls off more quickly toward the front than to the rear. The double tubes could simply be welded under the existing tubes. Since the welds would be at the mid point if the doubled axle they would be at the neutral axis so wouldn't get much stress and wouldn't need to be continuously welded. I think welding would be the preferred approach.

Or gusset plates about 8 inches wide could be added to the sides to connect the two tubes. TEK screws could be used to attach the plates to the sides if the tubes.

To drop the axle I would jack the frame behind the axle attachment but as close to it as I could. Place a block between the jack and frame to spread the load.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:05am
When I got mine, there were obvious places on the frame where it had been supported by blocks and had not been painted the same as the rest of the frame. Those would likely be good places to use if you see them on your RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12