Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhoneymoon in our 171

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: honeymoon in our 171
    Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 4:41pm
well, we did it...  tied the knot and went camping!

Lake Champlain is gorgeous in August!  We landed in the Lake Champlain Resort, which apparently has also been known as the Lake Champlain Adult Campground.  The new moniker appears to be related to a number of people interpreting "Adult" as meaning more than just "no kids"! :-) 

The campground is a winner.  It appears to have once been an orchard as there are lots of apple and cherry trees all over the property.  It's on the western side of South Hero Island. The proprietors are wonderful, helpful, friendly.  The property is well maintained.  Grassy sites, rather open, nice breezes off the lake which proved helpful with a string of hot and humid weather.

As an adults-only spot, it was nice and quiet.  Most of the other campers are retirees or folks on long trips spanning several weeks.  Some seasonal spots as well.  Beautiful sunsets!  Nice rocky beach.

So if you're heading that way, it's a great place.  The Champlain Islands are beautiful.  Lots of farmland, 30 minutes from Burlington if you're looking for a night out. The local beer is pretty good too.

Just don't let them tell you the water is too warm for fishing.  The lake trout may have gone deep but the bass were keeping people busy!
da ve
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 6:57pm
Congratulations you youngsters!  Sounds like a great time, a great place, and a great pod.  My only time east has been going to Pennsylvania, New York, or Washington DC so please forgive me for asking this question.  What state is Lake Champlain or the Champlain Islands in?  Thanks.  Sounds like a great place.  Do they also have non-electric sites as well?

We were on an anniversary trip when we spotted our first R-Pod.  It was our 34th anniversary and the location was Fort Wilkens S.P. in Copper Harbor, the northernmost tip of the U.P. of Michigan.  It was a 2010 R-Pod 152 and was being towed by a Subaru Outback.  Within two months, January 2011 we were ordering a 177 - it has been a sweet dependable unit for the past 10+ years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:06am
Lake Champlain is in Vermont and the islands are at the north end of the lake, near Canada...  yes, they have a variety of sites - most full service but some folks simply tenting as well...  

re- youngsters...  been a while since someone called me "youngster"...  i'm 60 :-) 

da ve
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:46pm
I once tried to plan a trip there, but somehow it just never happened. I too was wondering why they call themselves an "adult campground". Might be why I didn't go. Looks like it's going back on my to do list. Thanks for sharing this info. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 8:20am
a few pics....

da ve
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:01pm
Nice open sites. Waterfront looks awesome. Looks like a definite booking for next year now
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:26pm
Hmm.  Looks tempting.  Can you tell me if campgrounds in that area (including Lake Champlain) are still open in October?  Or can you tell me how late in the year they remain open?  We don't need water (we carry full FW tank) or electric as we usually boondock anyway.
God's pod
'11 model 177
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:55am
Their web site says open until October 5th is the season closing date.  The URL is http://champlainresort.com if you want to check it out.

There's a state park with a campground on the east side of the island.  We wanted to go check it out but it's gated and only campers with reservations are allowed in. It's Grand Isle State Park and closes on Oct 17.  https://vtstateparks.com/grandisle.html gets you the web site for the park.

If you do visit the spots on South Hero Island, bring bikes if you have them.  Very nice bike paths on the islands!
da ve
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:17pm
Thanks for the infoApprove
God's pod
'11 model 177
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:58pm
That area is awesome. I've passed through several times and said "We should stop here at some point." We've slowed down and ventured a bit, yet never stayed.. Will do so now!

We travel through here as we head west now across the Northern tier of the US. We like traveling through Canada much better as it's more laided back.. maybe just how we see it. Of course re-entering at Lake Superior and the UP of Michigan doesn't hurt at all! Another area I need to put some time into..

Congratulations !

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply