This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUndecided If I Can Tow???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undecided If I Can Tow???
    Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:05am

I have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 4.0 L V6 engine, 251 HP, 262 lb-ft torque. It also has a rated towing capacity of 3600 pounds. Would I be able to tow an r pod and if so what model would you recommend? My wife and I are both retired.

Thank you
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:12am
You have enough power, BUT the only ones that are below your towing cap are the 171, 172 and 173.  So if I were you I would look at their floor plans and see if any match your wants and needs.

Do you have the tow package?  If not you could talk to a dealer about adding it.  That would raise your towing amount and give you more choices.

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:09pm

Actually they are all below your towing capacity - unloaded, and before options, battery, fuel and any water in any of the tanks.  The heaviest probably would be right at your limit and maybe over, loaded with your pots and pans, clothes, food, some water, options, propane and a battery (the last 2 are added by the dealer and aren't included in the Unloaded Vehicle Weights shown in the link below, and neither are any options).

Your vehicle has a bit more power and torque than my Sienna, and in general it tows OK.  Most here have found that once you get above 50 mph you "hit a brick wall" - the wind resistance far outweighs any weight savings the 'pods have over other heavier trailers.

http://forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=specs&choice=rpod&nav=rec&source=summary

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:08am
Although it has a high toungue weight, check out the RP-151 too.  It's the smallest (and I'd expect the lightest) of the R-Pod line.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Taya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 10:28am
I tow an R-Pod 151 with a Honda CRV, which has a wight capacity of 1500 lbs., and the trailer is dry-weight 1938 lbs. But I have no problem towing it, because they put a class3 hitch package on the Honda, electric brakes, trannie cooler, the works. It tows like a dream, but I haven't gone any faster than 80 km/h (around 50mph), and I haven't traveled through any mountainous areas yet.

One hint is to travel with no water in the tank, that can save you 500 lbs. right there.

When talking to people, for everyone who says I'll wreck my car, there are two who say, it will be fine. That's my 2 cents worth!
Taya H.
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 10:37am
Frankr   Check out camping adventures " Lake Superior " That is a 05 tc limited with tow package pulling a 177. You will not be the leader of the parade but it pulls it ok 12 to 14 mpg. We are taking ours south this winter (soon i hope) as it was 19 degrees here this am. Good luck in your choice of pod.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 6:24pm
Just to add fuel to the discussion about weight limits.  There are a lot of things that go into determining the tow limit.  Usually a tow package will address them, tranny cooler, brakes etc.   With the R-Pod, and others, there isn't much weight actually added to the tow vehicles weight.  If there was then you would have to look at springs, shocks, tires and axles.  As it is we pretty much only have to worry about stopping and sway.  Most times the sway problem...isn't a problem.  So it comes down to brakes.  Hook up the electric brakes.

My Jeep Liberty weighs about a half ton more now than it did when it was new.  If it wasn't for using a good brake controller on the electric brakes I would be an accident looking for a place to happen.  My stock brakes are good,  but not enough when I'm towing.  I can still feel the camper pushing me a little when braking on a down hill slope.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 2:39am
  Frankr, we tow our 171 with a 2004 Dodge Caravan that has a 3.3 L engine. It is a little light on power and I do not use overdrive when we tow. Your 4.0 engine should have more than enough power to pull any of the R-POD models. I would strongly recommend that you add an extra transmission cooler before towing anything. I also changed the rear shocks from the standard ones that had 70,000 miles on them to Monroe heavy duty shocks, it made a big difference. The trans cooler was $250 to have installed at our local shop and the shocks cost $90 and I put them on.
   Other than the brake controller that the R-POD dealer installed there really is not anything else to do, unless I forgot something.
           Hope that this helps.    Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply