R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Driving Calgary to Vancouver with R-pod 192

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote AnnetteGary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving Calgary to Vancouver with R-pod 192
    Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 11:15pm
We are wondering about taking our new R-pod 192 on the road this fall. Has anyone driven across the Rockies - from Calgary to Vancouver?  We have a Toyota Tacoma tow vehicle. Is there a relatively easy route  - staying within Canada that anyone can recommend?  Thanks very much,
Annette and Gary
Annettegary
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 7:03pm
You should have plenty of truck, if it's in good mechanical condition.  What concern do you have about just driving the Trans-Canada Hwy? 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:22pm
We have a Nissan Frontier and an RP-179. You should be okay. We've been in the Rockies multiple times with our 179, most recently in May/June.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
AnnetteGary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AnnetteGary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:34pm
Mountains, hair-pin turns, snowy conditions. We are newbies -:)
Annettegary
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:57pm
Part of that depends on time of year. Summer means you are less likely to encounter snow. Hair-pin turns and switchbacks? You can do them. They are not that hard. The trailer will track behind the Tacoma just fine. Don't let fear prevent you from what will be a really spectacular and memorable drive. You don't want to spend your latter days wishing you had made the trip.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
AnnetteGary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AnnetteGary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 11:05pm
Thanks StephenH.  We are also concerned about holding back other travelers with our slower pace. Do you know which is the least mountainous route? thank you, 
Annette and Gary
Annettegary
D&S Escape Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote D&S Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 1:35am
If you are looking for a route planner and if you have a smart phone, you might want to try the app: inRoute. It is pretty easy to use and can show you elevation among other things in your route.  I drove Calgary to Vancouver a couple of times and I don’t think the route I used (Canada-1 & BC-5) ever went above 5,000 feet.  Very scenic drive, about 600 miles, stopped in Camloops overnight as a half way point….  We take our time and enjoy the scenery.  The entire route is multiple lanes so you won’t be holding anyone up.  They’ll be able to pass you. Enjoy.
2020 Rpod-191
2019 Silverado 1500
2021 Highlander
Former rigs:
2018 Silverado 2500HD
2013 Forest River Cherokee 26 BH
1999 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
Susan_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Susan_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 11:44pm
Several people have recommended the inRoute app, but when I searched Google Play, nothing came up, and when I google searched it and tried to download it, Crypto... something came up, which made me very suspicious. Is it possible for you to post a link to the app? (I use Android, so that shouldn't be the problem) Thanks!
2014 R-Pod 178 HRE
2015 Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6
on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula, Washington State
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ron_whitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 3:47pm
Following this also.  I have garmin gps.  But would like to look at the inRoute app.
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Susan_55

Several people have recommended the inRoute app, but when I searched Google Play, nothing came up

I think it's Apple only.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>