R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Water Tank Advice - Event Date: 26 Jul 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Black Water Tank Advice
    Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:53pm
We have a 2020 rPod 196 that we have had boondocking 4 times.  I'm not confident that the Black Water tank is emptying all the way at the dumping station.  Cry
Do trailers have to be completely level to drain, or can I drive up on a couple of levelling blocks to raise the opposite side of the trailer than the drain is located?  That would depend on exactly WHERE the drain pipe is attached to the black water tank - and that is what I'm not sure of.   Is it attached to the edge of the tank, or maybe somewhere in the middle?   If in the middle, then I should probably be as level as possible.  If attached towards the edge, then I guess inclining to the left would be best.

Any ideas, tips?

Thanks all  
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:29pm
Most of the time the drain area is lower than the surrounding drive area.  so the trailer will naturally lean toward the sewer drain in the ground. It can help to raise the passenger side  by driving up on a block or lego type pad, but usually not necessary.
Why do you think the tank is not draining properly? don't rely on the lighted guages-they are notoriously wrong.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:29pm
If yours is like ours, the drain is at the front-center. So, level left to right and a little nose down would likely be best for draining. I'm not 100% sure on that model though. You would need to look.

As for the tank, use a good biological treatment such as TankTech's Rx, Unique Products RV Digest-It, or Happy Campers Odor Free Holding Tank Treatment. Absolutely avoid the stuff with formaldehyde. You need the bacteria to break down the paper and solids so they can be flushed out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
RoverPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:11am
The drain pipe is attached to the center front of my black tank. And the bottom of the tank is sloped toward the pipe. So having the camper level would be the best strategy. But you also should not overthink the process. The key to good dumping is to have the tank have LOTS of water in it when you dump.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
dasbryant View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:58am
Thanks for all the great advice!  I think I'll unfasten a few feet of the plastic underlayer and use a flashlight to determine how the tank is installed and where the drain pipe is attached. 

I guess I was banking on the sensor lights being accurate, but the more I investigate, I can see that's not a good way to determine emptiness.   I'll also leave a good flashlight in the camper and use the old look down the pipe and into the tank method when in doubt.  

Thanks all
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:06am
No, black tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate after the first trip. There are exterior sensors that read through the tank wall (SeeLeveL being one such product), but we get the "industry standard" inferior product. Just remember that if you start with a full fresh water tank and an empty black and gray water tanks, there is no way to fill up either tank unless you connect to an external water source or add water to the tank.

Using a biological treatment and filling the tank, letting it soak, then draining and flushing with the black tank flush will temporarily get the sensors reading, but only until the next trip where they will be just as inaccurate again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 11:00am
It is very easy to determine emptiness. Drain the black and gray tanks. They are guaranteed empty, no guesswork. Then fill the fresh water tank till it's completely full. Guaranteed full. Then go to your campsite. Don't connect city water. Use your fresh water via the pump until either it's gone or you leave.

When you leave for your next stop drain and refill as before, or drain and then refill at the next campground.

This procedure does a couple things for you. First, as StephenH says, you cannot overflow your gray or black tanks. Second, you cannot overload your trailer with too much water. Water is heavy and your trailer is not designed to handle the load of 3 full tanks (750 lbs). Using this approach you won't have more than 250 lbs total between the three tanks.

Third, none of the sensors have to work when you do this You don't need to ever look at the black and gray tank levels at all. You do need to monitor the fresh tank water level. But the fresh tank sensors are the most reliable, and if they do fail you can simply look at the water level in the tank under the trailer because it's translucent.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply