R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConverting Suburban SW6DE W/H to SW6DEL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting Suburban SW6DE W/H to SW6DEL
    Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 4:52pm
I have a 2019 RPOD 190 that came with a Suburban SW6DE water heater (LP + 110 VAC). There's a 15A breaker in the converter box marker "water heater". However, the monitor panel only has a switch marked 'W/H ON/OFF" and one marked "PUMP ON/OFF". As I understand things, the switch on the monitor panel only controls LP mode and AC mode has to be manually enabled via switch on the outside of the trailer inside the W/H housing.

I'm spoiled! My last two RVs (a 34' Class A and a 27' Class C) had dual mode water heaters, and they had a switch on the monitor panel to select either LP or 110 VAC mode for the water heater.

I want to have the same capability in my RPOD. I understand that the SW6DEL has a 12 VDC/110 VAC relay to allow remote switching of the water heater mode. I don't want the water heater to run continuously in either mode - I want to be able to remotely control both modes from inside the RV (why would I want the water heater to run all night???).

I'm an electronics tech, so adding a relay for remote 110 VAC switching shouldn't be a huge undertaking, but getting net wire up inside the wall to the monitor panel might be a PITA. I think SPDT center off rocker switches are available to replace the original ON/OFF switch on the monitor panel (LP-OFF-110 VAC).

Any comments?
Mike
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:09pm
I don't use the outside switch for the electric mode: I just flip the breaker inside.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm
Not sure what you gain by wiring in an spdt relay. If you use the breaker to turn the water heater ac element on and off and the control panel switch to turn the propane water heat system on and off then you have full control from inside the trailer and can choose propane, 120v electric, or both if you want really fast recovery.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
wb0ldj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:52pm
I guess I was just looking at the situation from a perfectionist point of view - having both modes available via one switch. You guys are right.   I hadn't thought of just leaving the exterior switch in the "on" position and controlling the AC mode via the breaker! After all, the breakers are just a step away from the monitor panel.
Mike
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:32am
Originally posted by TheBum

I don't use the outside switch for the electric mode: I just flip the breaker inside.

This is the simple and easy way to a solution to what you wish to accomplish.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:59pm
You may want to retain the original capability to run Gas and electric simultaneously. It essentially cuts the reheat time in half which may be desirable around dish washing or multiple shower time. The way the SW6DE works is the electric element alone will keep the water at temperature even if the gas is on. When the demand gets high both systems kick in until reheat is achieved. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
You can extend the wires on the back of the switch in the WH component, and move the switch anywhere you want..
 Post Reply Post Reply