R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwheel locked while adjusting brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheel locked while adjusting brakes
    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 5:11pm
I just got a 2017 Pod 179, and was adjusting my brakes last night to try to tighten them up because my new brake controller was not engaging the brakes. Internet searches revealed that this seemed like it may be the problem. I was told this pod had only been used once, and has been sitting around all these years, so I'm also suspecting rusted/frozen brake parts. 
So, I jacked up the pod and had the left wheel spinning, rotating the nut upwards to tighten (as several videos directed). It kept clicking (a dozen times or more???) but the wheel never tightened. I figured I must have adjusted it all the way, and that maybe they were frozen and not tightening. The wheel was still able to spin. So, I turned the nut downward a few strokes to return back near the starting point. I then went to turn the wheel and it was locked. Wont budge, at all. It was getting dark so I left it.
Today, I can clearly see the guard on the nut that must keep the screw from creeping, either upwards or down. I did not see that last night, so I was not lifting it out of the way. My bad. Today I was easily able to move the guard and turn the nut on the right wheel and adjust it, but turning the nut UP loosens it, and turning it down tightens. Opposite of what I saw in videos.
The nut on the left wheel only turns a smidge, not even 1 tooth rotation. I have put so much pressure on it trying to rotate it, the teeth are beginning to strip. Today I am able to move the guard out of the way while trying to rotate the nut, but it wont turn and the wheel is still locked.
So, for the purpose of this feed, I'd like help with figuring out how to unlock this wheel so I can then start a new feed to troubleshoot my brakes/brake controller. Help or ideas requested.
Could I have damaged the guard last night in the dark by cranking the screwdriver against it?
I would love to shoot some WD 40 onto the threads where the nut is, but it doesn't seem like a goood idea to spray lubricant into my brakes and onto the hub, right??
I thought of removing the seal/bearings and removing the hub to access my brakes and remove them as well. But, would I be able to get the hub off if the brake is locked to it?
Could I try to lower the pod and gently try to pull forward a foot or 2 to see if the motion would get the hub/pads to release if they're just frozen? 
Through all of this, the breakaway is installed and the 7 pin has not been attached, so no power to the brakes.
Thanks in advance, still hoping to make our shake down trip this weekend!

BrewPod
2017 R Pod 179
2007 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0L
Looking for adventures
BrewPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 7:30pm
Update: I did try rocking it back and forth, and banging the drum with a hammer. The wheel did turn and the brakes squealed. I then tried turning the nut again and it still wont budge. Pending other suggestions, I think I will have to try to remove the hub/brakes tomorrow and see if it will come off. Ideas still requested.
BrewPod
2017 R Pod 179
Looking for adventures
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 7:37pm
If you go behind the drum, there are two rubber covers. Pry them out and then you can use either brake tools or a couple of screwdrivers. One of them will be to lift the lock off the star wheel. The second will be to rotate the star wheel to take the tension off the shoes. That will likely help you to remove the drum.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:01am
It sounds like your brakes are self adjusting, I think the guard you see is the self adjusting lever. If your trailer was only used once you may need to burnish the brakes for them to work right, as it may not have been done. If I were you, I would remove the hub and repack the wheel bearing, replace the wheel seals and check out the brakes. It may just need a once over and cleaned up.
BrewPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:56am
Thanks Stephen, yeah that's what I was doing, but somehow either I damaged the threads/nut, or it's just locked up. Either way, I wont know until I access it today. Thanks for following/commenting 
BrewPod
2017 R Pod 179
Looking for adventures
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:07am
If you did not get the locking arm lifted enough, you might have ended up tightening instead of loosening the brakes. I've done that and had my brake drum locked up tight. A good flashlight or head light so you can focus light in the slots to see will help make sure you are lifting the lever and if you are turning the star wheel in the direction it needs to go.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:09am
Once you bind up the self adjusters they are really tough to loosen. The problem is that the teeth are really it intended to work to tighten the brakes. Not much to pry against to loosen them. As StephenH suggests at this point it's best to get the drums off and inspect/loosen everything. The problem is the drums are hard to get off once the brakes are off.

While you have them apart check the magnets to be sure they are worki g properly. You'll need a multimeter on the ohms scale for that. Look up the brake troubleshooting procedure on the Lippert website.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
BrewPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 1:10pm
Ok, I got the hub assembly off with the help of some penetrating fluid and prying. The nut turns easily now. I broke off the internal spring while prying this off, so the pad is not sitting flush, therefore I cant really get the nut to stay in it's intended position to try and figure out WHY it wouldn't turn. Oh well, off to buy a new brake assembly. Thanks for the replies and following along.Smile
BrewPod
2017 R Pod 179
Looking for adventures
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 2:38pm
Not sure which spring you are talking about, but I would try a local parts store before ordering a whole new brake unit.  Try this one just for giggles, https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-return-spring-kit
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 4:27pm
Hello brewPod.

You said you were off to buy a new brake assy...I may be out to lunch but would it not be prudent to replace both brake assemblies at the same time?

This keeps both sides exactly the same.

Just a thought, and good luck in your re-installation...it should be way easier with all the old, rusty parts replaced.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>