R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAC Thermostat Bypass - Short Cycle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Thermostat Bypass - Short Cycle
    Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:36pm
Just find the easiest part to take off and have the necessary tool handy. Then as soon as it starts acting up take the part off and put it right back. Problem solved!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 9:20am
Hello fwunder, thanks for documenting all the work you have been doing on this a/c cycling issue. I know I can't be the only one watching this thread (and pulling for you that you can isolate and solve the issue).

When you said you were talking to the easystart people I really perked up as I just installed my easystart yesterday and trained it as per instructions...just in case there was something up with the magic little box.

I was wondering if you have a EPO hooked up in your electrical system and if that would help with your diagnosing/preventing the cycling when your heavier power load comes on?

OG might have provided a temporary work around...Can't hurt in a pinch! ;-)

Good luck with finding this obnoxious electrical gremlin.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 10:43am
HVAC tech just left. Crawled all over taking measurements. Of course, the unit was running perfectly while he was here. Wiring all "looks" good. He measured compressor drawing 10 amps. He thought that might be a little hi. I think that's about spec.

His suggestions:

Replace run capacitor 
Replace overload switch
Double check all connections...again.

He was not familiar with EasyStart, but as I said, I had issue before EasyStart. Down a bit of a rabbit hole, but I don't mind replacing a few cheap parts if it fixes it.

The advice cost me $122.00

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 10:57am
I think the 10A is a little lowif anything. If that was the compressor only (not including the fan then you would be about 13A total for the a/c.   IIRC my a/c took about 15A.

I agree with your tech on replacing those couple items. They're cheap and easy. Too bad it didn't fail while he was there to see it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by campman

Hello fwunder, thanks for documenting all the work you have been doing on this a/c cycling issue. I know I can't be the only one watching this thread (and pulling for you that you can isolate and solve the issue)....

Thanks Andy. I hope this thread might offer some clues to anyone else who might have a similar problem. I have scoured many forums and come across more than one long thread of AC short cycle issues. I think I have the first one that is so crazy intermittent with same and stable power supply.

I don't have a EPO or surge protector on it here @ home. Since the problem has (intermittently) happened on campground pedestal, sister's house on 20 amp circuit, my house on 20 amp circuit and generator, I'm not sure EPO would tell me much.

It would be interesting if I could monitor and capture 24 hours or more of power data like I can with my new Govee Wifi thermometer.

You can see that after about 1:30 when tech was gone and I put everything back together, the AC has been working well with ambient about 90.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 4:45pm
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:26pm
This will probably work too and doesn't cost as much as an a/c. Still not exactly cheap though.
DAQ
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 6:14pm
Just to followup...

I can't make the problem happen again!! 

Somewhere along this journey someone pushed or jiggled the right wire or unplugged and plugged the right connection. It's not a solution, but whattaya gonna do?!

I'm having a tough time finding the 40/15 run capacitor or the overload relay - out of stock everywhere. I understand I might be able to use an alternate run capacitor if it came to it.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep trying to break it so I can fix it!!

fred
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:15am
Maybe it's fixed! Often just taking things apart, fiddling with them and putting them back corrects problems. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth as they used to say.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 4:13pm
When we left you last...

The AC tech had left, the unit was working perfectly and I was drinking heavily.

So beginning Wednesday evening I left the AC on auto w/tstat @ 72. Thursday, I changed tstat to 74. It has been on auto continuously since Wednesday with, interestingly, the Progressive Dynamics converter also on. 20 amp home circuit. You will see from the attached image, the AC has been working perfecting, cutting in and out with a range one would expect with outside temps in mid to high 80's and pod in full sun.

But wait...there's more....

I didn't think the following was that important, but now I am really wondering.

Before AC tech arrived and because the unit was acting so freeking crazy and I was running out of ideas and strong enough liquor, I swapped the thermostat back to the old one. It was still short cycling so I decided to put the new one back on. This time, though, I swapped out the DC panel. "He did what, you ask?!!"

A while back and about the first time I remember the AC problem, I replaced the WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics. The PD came with its own DC panel. Functionally, the only difference is a "charge wizard" button that pumps a manual fast charge. Not really necessary, but I figured I'd use the panel since I had it. What a PIA it was trying to fit the panel in the WFCO enclosure! I made it work, stuffing it in and it seemed to be working fine although access to the DC fuses was almost impossible  without removing WFCO cover.  Fast forward...

When swapping tstats I wanted to pull DC 12v. fuse. On my unit it's #5 ( Bathroom lights ). Because of the hassle pulling and replacing fuse with PD panel and thinking future potential problems, I decided to put the old WFCO panel back in place. That was the only ( wiring ) change I have made to the system since this began.

Is it possible a 12 volt problem could have been the source of all my problems ( please don't get personal! )? Could I have fixed it by fixing a 12 volt problem? Should I resume drinking heavily?

As Walter Conkrite would say, "And that's the way it is."

fred

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>