R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving a window - R189

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing a window - R189
    Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
I have to fix a delamination under the rear window on my r189.  Looks like you pull the screws on the inside ring then you can pull the window.  I suspect it is a compression ring that expands the rubber gasket to make a tight fit.  I am pretty sure they didn't use any sealer thus the leak.  Has anyone pulled a window?  Does it make sense to use some sort of sealer when I put it back in?  
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 12:08pm
On our 179, there is silicone sealant around the sides and top. That is probably because it is a flat window mounted on a curved surface.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 12:59pm
I haven't seen any evidence of sealer by looking at it.....but it is on the right side of trailer and it is completely flat.  I was thinking of using silicone.....just enough to prevent another leak.  It didn't leak inside the trailer but the delamination looks to be directly from a leak.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by StephenH

On our 179, there is silicone sealant around the sides and top. That is probably because it is a flat window mounted on a curved surface.
+1 
That's the same way ours was done. There is an opening across the bottom to (presumably) let an condensation out.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:38am
I don't know how the internal seal is set up but I had a leak evident on the inside of the rear window in each corner when it rained.  The trailer was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it saying "this happens quite frequently caused by the internal gasket not being properly seated".  After they preformed their work the window has not leaked since.  The only silicone used during the repair on the outside of the window was in the gap on along the top and both sides of the window, not on the bottom. I really don't know where the internal weather seal is or how it works, it just does when installed correctly.  Hope this helps. 
Jay

179/2019

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 10:08am
Yes this helps.....I suspected they didn't use sealer.  When I pull the window I will check the opening to see if there are any problems there.  I will take pictures when I pull it so everyone can see how the seal works.  Definitely was some sort of leak to cause the delamination.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 1:37pm
If you are going to remove/replace your window, you may want to consider a marine bedding compound, such as 3M 5200 instead of silicone caulk to seal it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 3:14pm
Only problem with 5200 is you may never be able to remove the window again.....that stuff is pretty permanent.  I suspect it has a rubber seal and the sealer would be just to help if needed.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 4:53pm
I haven't taken a window out of an RPod yet ( I added a window to several RPod doors), but I have experience with similar windows.
I have found that sometimes the gasket has been damaged by pierced by a screw or pinched/wrinkled during installation.
another issue I have seen is when the actual opening for the window is cut too large or the window is set askew of the opening.  both of these issues created a void in the frame which means no gasket compression.
the gasket is the crucial part in leak avoidance. the ones I have worked with had no internal(interior?) sealer, just used compression from the screws along the perimeter. However, most have the gasket glued to one side of the frame as opposed to being totally loose. Be careful removing the window or separating the two frame parts so that you don't rip or tear the gasket.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply