This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrying to Decide . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to Decide . . .
    Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 9:15pm
Hmmm . . . I hadn't thought of that.  I had really dismissed the 172 because of not having as many windows.  But, now that you mention it, the dogs would REALLY love that lower bunk.  And, keeping them out from under foot is a concern, because falling over them constantly would NOT be any fun at all.

I know there are some women on this forum . . . how hard is it to get set up/hooked up/etc by yourself?

Ann
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by sadiehikes

Hmmm . . . I hadn't thought of that.  I had really dismissed the 172 because of not having as many windows.  But, now that you mention it, the dogs would REALLY love that lower bunk.  And, keeping them out from under foot is a concern, because falling over them constantly would NOT be any fun at all.

I know there are some women on this forum . . . how hard is it to get set up/hooked up/etc by yourself?

Ann

Not hard at all, there are all kinds of things to make it easy. 
 First on my list is a set of mechanic gloves easy to work in and saves the hands.
2. For Hooking up, buy the two yellow tennis balls that help guide you when hitching (the back camera's are getting cheaper too).
3. I have a BAL that pretty easy to get the side to side level.  Just use a two dollar level to get the front and back level.
4. Cordless drill with a socket on it, makes dropping the stabilizers easy.
5. Silcone spray for the rdome c-channel (after making sure not screws are sticking out), make the r dome set up a one person job.

Gets easier every time, and this was my second season, because I get to travel/camp about 10 months out of the year.

PM me if you have an particular questions.

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:02pm

Ann
Welcome to the group!  You are asking good questions.  I was in the same situation (deciding between the 151 and 173) when I purchased my Pod.  I liked the 151 for the same reasons as you, but bought the 173 because of the lighter tongue weight, extra lenght, having both the sofa and dinette and I was thinking of resale potential.  I have a 70lbs German Shepherd and both of us moving around in the Pod was a bit problematic.  Mine weighed about 2350, as delivered from the factory w/options.  I was able to sleep on the dinette portion (no table) and did so a couple of times, after removing the back cushions.  Most of the time I slept on the jack knife sofa.  Not to counter Lee, but you could give one or the other (sofa/dinette) to the dog, if you want to make the 173 work.  Lee has a lot of good tips/advise.

What is this "women/hard to get set up by yourself stuff"!!!  I do it alone all the time and almost always manage to get hitched up within 8-9 attempts....what's gender have to do with it LOL
sadiehikes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:11pm
Eight or nine attempts?!!!  Yikes!!  Seriously, you have all been SO helpful, I'm actually starting to think I can handle this.  Looking forward to seeing some of you out there . . .

Ann
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 6:18am

Eight or nine attempts?!!!  Yikes!!  Seriously, you have all been SO helpful, I'm actually starting to think I can handle this.  Looking forward to seeing some of you out there . . .

Ann

Just kidding about the 8-9 attempts Tongue.  Hitching and backing seems to cause the most concern, as some have never done it and many of the rest of us don't do it everyday.  The more you do it, the better you get.  Don't be embarassed if it takes a try or two to get it right...you won't be any different than the rest of us.  The tennis balls can help and I seem to have noticed a back up camera for under $100 USD at a local auto parts store.  I don't use either for hitching up, though the camera might be nice.

Backing just takes a little practice.  Start by turning your steering wheel the opposite direction as what you normally would to back into a space.  As the camper begins to turn, you will want to start straighting the wheel, perhaps even turning it the direction you normally would, if the camper it turning too much.  Pick a school parking lot (on a weekend) or a church (through the week) and practice a few times.  Rare is the person who gets it perfect on the first try(s) each time(s).

You CAN handle this!  Just don't expect perfection from yourself.  I've been towing things for years and I rarely get it perfect on the first try...and I do it without help.
sanjerga View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 8:39pm
We are picking up our 177 in the morning and will be camping in the back yard tomorrow night for a trial run.  Can't wait for weekend trips with this unit.  My wife and I are so excited about the camping scene.  And here I thought I was too old to get excited.
Happy Trails!
Jerry & Sandy and an 8 lb Maltese dog
Zilbub View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 10:39am
Hi Ann,

Did you buy an R-Pod yet?  We (my wife and I) have a 151.  We really like the open floor plan--makes it feel so roomy.  They don't make them anymore but you might still be able to find a new one somewhere.

Jon
Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 2:23pm
We have a 173. I made an extension for the fold out couch which added an additional 8" sleeping space then put a foam mattress over it for comfort. We keep the dinette folded down as a bed when camping.
The one thing about the 173 is that the door is further down on the rpod which allows you to open it up all the way if you have a canopy or rdome attached.
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 10:53pm

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful answers.  Now, one more question - the dealer says that the dome screen room has a piece that screens the bottom of the trailer.  It's never shown in the showroom, though.  Does it indeed keep out the bugs that would like to come from under the pod?

Not that I don't trust the salesman . . . but, he did say I could pull a pod with my "ancient" (1985) Volvo!

I sure do hope that you are not serious?

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 10:59pm

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful answers.  Now, one more question - the dealer says that the dome screen room has a piece that screens the bottom of the trailer.  It's never shown in the showroom, though.  Does it indeed keep out the bugs that would like to come from under the pod?

Not that I don't trust the salesman . . . but, he did say I could pull a pod with my "ancient" (1985) Volvo!

I sure do hope that you are not serious?

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>