Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrying to Decide . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tdrace View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to Decide . . .
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:12pm
As a single person with a dog, I bought the 173 because of the room. At night I pull the couch down and sleep. I feel when you come into the 173 it is wide open because the shower is on the far side. You also have the couch and dinette.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 5:27pm
I agree with Jim - everything he said about the slideout keeping you from feeling claustraphobic is absolutely right.  I chose the 177 because I wanted a permanent bed so I didn't have to make up the dinette every night.  I looked at several models but I just felt less crowded in the 177.  If you want more storage or you have kids, then you may want the one of the bunk models.  But the other forum members are right, that few extra inches the slideout gives you makes a world of difference, it really does.  Happy Podding!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 1:20pm
Why we bought our 177;  1, can have the dinette as extra bed if needed. 2, can eat inside if raining or beseiged by bugs. 3, can put table in r-dome if just want room to chat and 4,  have craft table
 PLUS the slide out keeps space from feeling too cramped.
I looked at the space and thought we could squeeze in an extra chair at the end of the table if  absolutely necessary.
 We started out backbacking a gazillion years ago and went to bigger and bigger tents. This will be our first non-cargo trailer. We travel with a dog too.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:42pm
We were looking at a few floor plans also. Luckily our dealer had all the plans in stock when we decided on our 177. Maybe a road trip to another dealer might be an ideal. As Jim said, the pop out really decided it for us, standing in the pod without it then in the one with the slide out mad a big difference. And the 151 is not being offered anymore, so you'll have to find a dealer that still has one or buy used
Ready to pod around!
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by sadiehikes

Hi, everyone!  I've been enjoying reading all the great information here, and have a couple of questions before I decide what to buy.  My dealer does not have a 173 or 151, the two models I like.  I'm single, but will travel with 2 dogs (border collies, so not huge). 

Question 1:  from the floorplan diagram for the 173, it looks like you lose one window and the pass-thru storage - is that right? 

Question 2: is it possible to sleep on just the rear part of the dinette in the 151 to avoid having to put the bed together?  I like that model for the open floorspace for the dogs.

Thanks in advance for your help . . . I look forward to podding!

Ann with Sadie and Frogi
for me the the slideout was the big seller,when i walk in my 177 i feel claustraphobic untill the slideout is extended.its the difference between night and day.i sold a 2009 casita spirit deluxe just for that reason and bought the rpod.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

So it's really no more trouble than putting up any other screenhouse or dome tent?

Its a little bit easier to put up than any screen tent or screened add-a-room that I've ever owned.  But, for those under 6', a stepstool will probably be required.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:23pm
Thanks tdrace for letting me know that.  So it's really no more trouble than putting up any other screenhouse or dome tent? 

I used to tent camp with my children for years.  Then I graduated to a tiny pop-up, then a bigger one, then a fifth wheel before downsizing to the R-Pod.  I was thinking that given all the ways I have had to set up camp, I just couldn't picture the R-dome being THAT big of a problem!

I appreciate your feedback.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm
Hodge Podge  I travel by myself. I can put the dome up by myself in about 15 minutes. I have been doing so for a year and a half. No problemBig smile
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by SweetPeaPod

Hello All!  I am not new to camping, been at that since the kids were little in the ice age.  Started with canvas, went motorized, then diesel, 38' pusher, which, is my home now.  Dropped down to  almost canvas with my purchase of my R Pod 175.  Was not my first choice..Wanted a 177; However, took the ugly duckling uncomfortable couch that could never be considered a spare "bed" and made a Rt. 66 decor window seat complete with a drop-down table.

backing up using the tennis ball extension rods makes backing up a one time deal. I have a Dodge 1500 with an extra cab, so big things get hauled in that allowing for muchstorage space for pod-only articles.

would like some feedback re: generators..perhaps attached to the pickup bed?  do any of you have that set-up with a fairly inexpensive generator...say around 500.00?  Also would like to know if anyone has words about batteries...I have only one and it seems to drain very quickly.   Think I am just spoiled by the conveniences of a motorhome.....

Well anyhow, this is the Sweetpea-Pod signing off .  Thank you in advance for an tips you can give me.  (being an older female in this group...Ladies...YOU CAN DO IT!!)  

Sweet Pea Pod,
Do you have pictures of the sofa modification that you made?  We also had a 175 (177 didn't come out until after we had purchased) and found that the sofa didn't work well for us for eating as dog takes up floor space for table.  We made this modification that also adds storage.   Since I am pretty short at 5' 2" and Craig is careful, it works for us.   I would love to see what you did.  Sorry for the highjack.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:31pm
Welcome SweetPeaPod!  I agree with Techntrek on all points.  It would be helpful to know how you intend to use the generator.  Good luck in your new Pod!  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>