R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutlets not working on 12V power?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outlets not working on 12V power?
    Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 1:26pm
I have a confusing situation - at least for me. When our 183G is plugged in at our house all appliances work fine as well as all of the 110v outlets. As soon as I unplug from shore power the lights all still work, but none of the outlets have power. I read through the manuals and can't find anything on how to troubleshoot this. The brown inverter (or converter not sure) will hum when plugged in so the batteries are charging fine. I am not sure what could cause them not to work on the 12v system. FYI i have 2 6 volt batteries and not a single 12v. Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks.

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 1:54pm
What you have is a converter, which converts 110VAC to 12VDC. What you don't have is an inverter, which converts 12VDC to 110VAC, and that's why the AC outlets don't work when not on shore power. None of the R-Pods come with an inverter except the newer ones, and then only if you order the solar kit.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Username View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:16pm
Ok, I think that makes sense. So, if I'm wanting to be able to power an outlet when boondocking, I need to either be running a generator, or have a solar array with an inverter, or just add an inverter on it's own?

TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:28pm
Yes. If you don't want to drag a generator along, a solar array would be preferrable in order to replenish the battery charge, but you could run an inverter without solar for a limited time. If you decide to go without solar, I'd highly recommend going to two 6V GC2 batteries to get the extra capacity and deeper discharge.
Alan
Three cats
Username View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:38pm
Thank you.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 4:16pm
Or, for roughly the equivalent capacity at a fourth of the weight, go with a 100A LiFePO4 battery. It will require other changes, but the battery will last much longer and not require the maintenance of a flooded Pb-Acid battery. See my mods for my LiFePO4 conversion.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 4:43pm
There are plusses and minuses to each chemistry. Flooded lead-acid are heavier and can't be discharged quite as far as LiFePO4. On the other hand, lithium batteries typically don't do as well in the cold, which is something to consider if you want to do any wintertime camping. Also, LiFePO4 batteries are very difficult to get a handle on remaining charge because the voltage discharge curve is very flat.
Alan
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 7:34am
It would help us to guide you if we knew what you wanted to run on 120vac from an outlet while boondocking and for how long.

If you want to be able to also run your microwave and/or air conditioner then you will need a generator.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by TheBum

There are plusses and minuses to each chemistry. Flooded lead-acid are heavier and can't be discharged quite as far as LiFePO4. On the other hand, lithium batteries typically don't do as well in the cold, which is something to consider if you want to do any wintertime camping. Also, LiFePO4 batteries are very difficult to get a handle on remaining charge because the voltage discharge curve is very flat.
I mounted my LiFePO4 battery inside so that it is protected from extremes of either heat or cold. It also is more secure than having the battery exposed on the A frame. The meter I installed tracks not only voltage, but amperage in and out so it is like a fuel gauge. It is very accurate. I can see at a glance (or with a couple of button pushes) voltage, total amperage available, instantaneous amperage use, and percentage of charge remaining. If I had wanted to pay a bunch more, I could have gotten a Bluetooth model that would have allowed me to link to my cell phone.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply