R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpower draw?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: power draw?
    Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 12:16pm
hi everyone - 

so, after getting home from the last trip i parked the pod and moved it out of the way (deliveries etc).  I thought I had everything turned off but passing by this morning I heard the CO detector chirping away. I believe this is normal for when the power is low, but I'm mystified as to what might be the cause. It seems like everything was turned off when it got parked but sure enough, not only is the CO chirping but none of the interior lights are coming on, indicating the battery is low/spent.  i'm plugging it back in, which gets the lights back on and stops the chirping, but now I'm wondering what's drawing power when everything appears to be shut down.

Any ideas what I should be looking for/checking?

david
da ve
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 1:35pm
There is a 100-200 or so milliamp load on the 12v circuit all the time. So after a couple of weeks even a fully charged battery will be discharged. To avoid that you either need to leave the battery on charge all the time (via the converter/charger or a small solar module/charge controller)
. Or you can disconnect the battery but after several weeks it will need to be recharged due to self-discharge.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:08am
To add to that, even a fully disconnected battery will slowly drain. It will take more than 2 weeks, but it will still happen.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 2:01pm
Also check to make sure the cable in you brake-away module on your a-frame isn't disconnected.  If it is just plug it back in.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
debndave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 6:09pm
Thanks everyone!
da ve
Gualalapod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:03am
I always notice that my stereo has a blue light I can't turn off, even when on battery.  I hate that thing at night but have put duct tape over it.  Probably also drains the battery away.
Gualalapod owner
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Gualalapod

I always notice that my stereo has a blue light I can't turn off, even when on battery.  I hate that thing at night but have put duct tape over it.  Probably also drains the battery away.
The light intensity can be turned down; at least it can be on our 2017 (AKA late 2016 RP179).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:16pm
I wanted to be able to completely turn off the power to the entertainment system.  It is probably not much, but still a constant parasitic draw. Plus, I hated the light at night also. I installed a simple 12 volt automotive toggle switch on the incoming 12 volt power line to the unit. it is in a block that also carries a curtain rod to separate "the bedroom".
You can install the switch easily.  It is a simple on/off 12 volt automotive switch. turn off the battery power, unplug the trailer and turn off the breaker for the entertainment system.there are 4 screws that hold the entertainment unit in place-one at each corner. it takes a long screwdriver. when you pull the unit out gently, there are a lot of wires connected. I placed a 5' stepladder in front so the unit can sit on top of the ladder while working on the wiring. Nothing has to be unplugged.  there is one red wire with a 12v tag on t that is the power wire.  Simply cut this wire at least several inches before it enters the unit.  then add red 6" wire pieces to each end of the newly severed power wire. solder with heat shrink tubing  or  use other types of connectors that you prefer.drill a hole in the upper face stile of the cabinet and install the switch.  Hook one end of the new lengthened red wires to each terminal of the switch.
Here is an example of the switch
https://www.amazon.com/DaierTek-Toggle-Terminal-Automotive-Position/dp/B07T3K9NQ1/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=12+volt+toggle+switch&qid=1627265606&sr=8-18-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2U1FCWklLMVpOQkUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1ODcxOTU2TzVKUUc2Q1I2R1kmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDYzMDkyMDE2UkJLRUhTN1I2NFomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGZfbmV4dCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 8:24am
We have a battery disconnect switch near the battery. When "off" it disconnects everything in the trailer. The switch can be purchased and installed fairly easily if you don't have one. It saves the fully charged battery until the switch is turned on again. There are several threads on the battery life on this forum so use the 'topic search' box in the upper right and prepare to be over whelmed. :-) Have fun!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:30am
A flashlight, a turkey baster - type syringe and a gallon of distilled water -- a good place to start is to check the water level in your batteries. Summer heat evaporates water quickly.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>