R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrip Damage and Delamination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip Damage and Delamination
    Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 3:23pm
Agree with what you are saying......it just goes against my grain that they would use such crappy plywood.  They base their materials on overall cost of all their trailers not cost per trailer.  When I was doing boats, the manufacturers would complain about the cost of resin driving up the cost.  I asked how many gallons resin went into their boat and you would find that the resin was a tiny fraction (boats didn't use that much resin) of what they paid for materials and advertising.  The management at the trailer companies is where the issue lies.....if they did proper quality control you wouldn't see such nonsense being delivered.....sorry there is just no excuse.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 3:55pm
That is one of the reasons that FR changed to using Azdell instead of Lauan. The newer trailers should not experience the same issues. I'm not saying they won't have issues, just not delamination ones from the plywood.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 5:53pm
Unfortunately that change to Azdell won't help me.  I'm gonna fix it an use it for a few years and sell it.  That was my original plan as I don't plan on doing this forever as I am 67.  So we'll see how long I can handle it.  Could sell now and get a good price but then buying another will cost a lot more.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 6:42pm
Good, cheap, fast choose any two. RV manufacturers, with a few exceptions, choose cheap and fast. We've sold our rpod now but will probably get another RV one day when the time is right. Having had class A, B, and C RVs as well as the trailer I'm sold on the trailer option. But I think my next one will be a Casita or similar fiberglass trailer. Cramped but better constructed and not so prone to water intrusion.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:46pm
Unless you go for an Oliver or Bigfoot. Those are larger, but from what I have seen and read, very well constructed. Of course, that is the cost factor. Both are quite expensive.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:52am
Ive heard good things about them. And 4 seasons capable, within reason. But they're also heavy, so a heavier tow vehicle would be required as well. So more $$$. For me the 5000 lb tow rated SUV is a sweet spot. It's heavy enough to tow a light trailer safely but still comfortable as a daily driver. I think a Casita would be big enough for the two of us while still light enough for mid size SUV towing.

Not knocking rpods, they are nice trailers and fit for purpose, just not made with longevity in mind.

Anyhow, that is for later, we're not going anywhere for longer than a few days for awhile. For now, I'm shopping for a light aircraft that would let us go on several hundred mile 2 to 4 day trips without becoming exhausted by spending the whole trip driving. If you think used trailer pricing has spiked just look at what's happening with general aviation aircraft pricing recently.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:07am
I've been obsessed with Olivers for the last three years - ever since I saw one in person.

Will need a new TV. My current TV only has 125K miles and runs great so that's a tough decision.

Our 2014 rPod still works well for us, although I do tire of the maintenance  and putting her back together occasionally.

I figure my new F150 ecoboost w/7.2Kw inverter and Oliver Elite II will set me back about $150K. I keep looking for an old rich Uncle...then realize I *am* the old Uncle.

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 8:10am
The Oliver and Bigfoot look like really nice travel trailers.  They remind me of travel trailers I saw while visiting Spain.  Really nice joinery and appear to be carefully put together.  It'd be interesting to import some of the nice European trailers that are more competitively priced to give a little competition to companies like FR.  We would probably see some improvements in quality as we did in the automotive industry.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:07am
We toured the Scamp factory a few years ago, and we liked what looked like quality construction. At that time they appeared to be reasonably priced, but I haven't looked at them in a while.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234