R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DC outlets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC outlets
    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 1:39pm
The fuse will protect the wire. I don't recollect the gauge but it runs two 12v fans and my dual voltage TV fine. Don't use it to run an inverter or something like that.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:37pm
That's what I did--dedicated fused circuit from the panel, under the bath and terminated under the bed adjacent to the wardrobe wall.  This is now a junction box that serves all of the new 12v devices that I added in the " bedroom" area.Makes for easy access to add more as needed.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote wthoms2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 12:13am
Ran a cig lighter outlet behind the TV. Ran another on the kitchen cabinet next to the front door above the fire extinguisher. This line I ran from a spare fuse holder on the inverter to under the door jam.

And incredible there were no 12V outlets or USB ports! So I also added next to the door a dual USB outlet with voltage readout.

Enjoy!
Porta Poddy
Wil and Luz, Orange County, CA
2017.5 179 HRE
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
REDARC Brake Controller
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 6:37am
Originally posted by wthoms2000

And incredible there were no 12V outlets or USB ports!  So I also added next to the door a dual USB outlet with voltage readout.  Enjoy!

It is incredible.  Maybe it's a indication that Forest River thinks in the "full hookup" world, where you plug in your AC adapter to get USB power.

I also installed a "power center" with 12V outlet, 12V gauge and USB-C and USB-A ports.  We love it!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 8:20am
I don't know why someone doesn't come up with a better 12v plug system than the clunky cigarette lighter style.  For dry camping, more 12 plugs would be handy, but the big cigaret lighter tube plugs take a lot of space inside the wall, limiting where they can be installed and the male part of the plug is vulnerable to getting hit and damaged.  The SAE style plugs used for the newer solar connections, or something like it, would work much better. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 8:55am
Originally posted by lostagain

I don't know why someone doesn't come up with a better 12v plug system than the clunky cigarette lighter style.

Anderson Powerpoles are a good way to deliver power.  Very solid.

The Powerpole distribution box is compact.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by lostagain

I don't know why someone doesn't come up with a better 12v plug system than the clunky cigarette lighter style.  For dry camping, more 12 plugs would be handy, but the big cigaret lighter tube plugs take a lot of space inside the wall, limiting where they can be installed and the male part of the plug is vulnerable to getting hit and damaged.  The SAE style plugs used for the newer solar connections, or something like it, would work much better. 

USB-C ports with Power Delivery could replace the accessory socket because they support a lot more amperage than plain USB. USB-C PD can deliver 100W laptop power and can deliver a variety of voltages, so it should work for most 12V devices.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by TheBum

USB-C ports with Power Delivery could replace the accessory socket because they support a lot more amperage than plain USB. USB-C PD can deliver 100W laptop power and can deliver a variety of voltages, so it should work for most 12V devices.

I put a USB-C PD 48W socket in one of my slots, but I don't appear to be getting that much power.  I think it's my external cable though.  I bought a USB-C tester to measure power delivery but haven't sussed it out yet.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 7:25am
The problem really isn't the receptacle/outlet. You could use any rated receptacle for a 12v circuit. The problem is the plug, the danger being that if you wire up your 12v appliance with a plug that is normally used at 120vac you could later inadvertently connect it to a 120vac circuit and find out where the smoke was hidden.

Hence the cig lighter convention. The cig lighter outlets are typically rated for 15a which will provide around 180 watts.

There are surface mount MC4 connectors available if you can find them but that is really overkill anyway for 12vdc as they are rated for 600vdc (non load break). You can readily get SAE surface mount connectors (like the "solar port" on rpods). I'd suggest using that if you don't like the cig lighter standard. Just cut off the cig lighter plugs and replace them.

Check the current rating of the connectors you get (you see numbers between 15 and 30a) and if the manufacturer doesn't list one then try to get something else. The wiring also has to be able to handle the current (14awg for 15a, 12awg for 20a, 10awg for 30a). Also be sure that you wire the appliances you connect for the same polarity you have wired the wall receptacles as the SAE standard doesn't specify that. And use the applicable fuses back at the distribution panel...

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by poston

Anderson Powerpoles are a good way to deliver power.  Very solid.

The Powerpole distribution box is compact.

I like PowerPoles and use them with my HAM equipment. However, since my CPAP machine and other items I have use the cigarette style plugs, that is what I have in my RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>