R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFender replacement, 2015 179

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fender replacement, 2015 179
    Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:45pm
We are hoping that someone will be able to point us in the right direction. A tire blowout today also took out a fender on the RPod 179. My husband is looking for a replacement fender. Does anyone know of a place where we can order one? If necessary we will contact a dealer. 

We were very lucky with this blowout. Made it to a tire dealer who rescues trucks, and they had the correct size tire. This was in Michigan, far from our home in Massachusetts. Scary.
RPod 179
Tow vehicle Honda Pilot
From Massachusetts
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:44am
Fenders are an issue for Forest River, none match.  When I took delivery of my new 179 I didn't notice that there was a significant difference in the measurement between the fender and the top of the tire on each side.  I never noticed it until I had the trailer for 14 months.  Me bad.  The trailer went into the dealer for some unrelated warrantee repair and I asked to have matching fenders (to just closely match the fender on the other side) and after the dealer went through about 4 fenders with FR they got one that is fairly close and looks much better.

What I am trying to say if you get a replacement from FR it may not be the exact matching fender.

Good luck and keep your tire inflated, hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 8:15am
When you say the tire you replaced was the right size, what do you mean? The OEM tires are underrated for the load they have to carry on the 2015 179, so if you replaced it with like tire you can expect more problems. And the other old tire is past it's useful life so could go anytime.

Get two new tires with a higher load rating. I bought 15 inch load range D tires and wheels with a 2500 lb rating. You need a lift kit for that but you get better clearance as well as a nice big safety factor on the load rating. If you stay with your 14 inch wheels then go at least for D rated tires, if not E rated ones.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Jimandlibby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 8:33am
Yes, load range D now.  The two original tires on the trailer failed on consecutive days, both days in the 90’s and driving long distances at 65 mph.  The first one didn’t actually fail but showed an obvious ply separation which I luckily noticed.  Second was the blowout.  The spare at this point was the tire with the ply separation.  That got us off the Interstate at 30 mph and to a repair shop that had trailer tires in stock.  In about an hour, back on our way.  Now to find a replacement fender...  etrailer only lists 84 choices for 14 in. tires.  I bet one of them is a match.
RPod 179
Tow vehicle Honda Pilot
From Massachusetts
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Jimandlibby

Yes, load range D now.

In case you didn't know, if all other things are equal, a load range D of a larger size will be able to carry more weight than load range D of a smaller size.

I think if you went back and calculated the weight-carrying capacity of the original load range C 14-inchers, you'd find that the load capacity is barely enough to carry your loaded Rpod, with no margin of safety.  It's no wonder there are some many blowouts, not necessarily because of poor quality, but just overloading.

Sounds like you're okay now, but for the future, you might consider going up in size for even more capacity, without going to the stiffer LR E tires in the smaller size. 

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
poston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Jimandlibby

My husband is looking for a replacement fender. Does anyone know of a place where we can order one?

<Getting back to the original topic ... Ermm>

I replaced our blownout fender with these.  They're flat-top, Jeep-style, and I like setting things on top of them when sitting outside or doing maintenance.

We did have some minor fit issues near the fold-down stairs on our 180, as the door is immediately aft of the fenders.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply